Duke in the NFL: Week 7

Ross Martin, who made 89 percent of his field goal attempts at Duke, is still looking for a job.

As the NFL season nears the halfway point, The Blue Zone takes a look at how some former Blue Devils in the NFL performed in Week 7. 

Jamison Crowder, WR, Washington

Once Kirk Cousins’ favorite target, Crowder has faded to near irrelevancy in Washington, stuck behind several other productive receivers. In the last three weeks, Crowder has just six catches for 36 yards, but did haul in two passes for 28 yards in a 34-24 loss to Philadelphia Monday. So far, running back Chris Thompson has led Washington in receiving, followed by Vernon Davis and three others—and then Crowder comes in at No. 6 in receiving yards. 

Laken Tomlinson, LG, San Francisco 49ers

Tomlinson logged 66 snaps for San Francisco in a 40-10 drubbing at home at the hands of the Cowboys. Along with the rest of the line, Tomlinson didn't pave the way for much offense—San Francisco averaged just 4.5 yards per play. The former Lions 2015 first-round pick could have to take more of a leadership role this week against Philadelphia, as the winless 49ers could be without starters Brandon Fusco and Trent Brown due to injury. 

Ross Cockrell, CB, New York Giants

Cockrell and the Giants’ defense did little to slow Russell Wilson, who threw for 334 yards on 27-of-39 attempts Sunday. Cockrell himself was productive, collecting five total tackles on 21 snaps, much more than star cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. New York will look to avoid falling to 1-7 Nov. 5 against the Los Angeles Rams after a bye week. 

Ross Martin, K, free agent

After Austin Parker missed two field goals against Pittsburgh Saturday, Duke fans returned to their yearning for Ross Martin, who was a three-time honorable mention All-American during his time in Durham from 2012 to 2015. NFL teams, however, haven’t been as interested in Martin, who has been nailing deep field goals on practice fields. Martin was cut from the Jets in September after not winning the starting job. 

Jeremy Cash, LB, New York Jets

After a brief one-year stint with Carolina, Cash was released by the Panthers following an injury, but is now back in football—on the Jets’ practice squad. According to the Hickory Daily Record, New York signed him Tuesday after releasing safety Harold Jones-Quartey. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 7” on social media.