Duke in the NFL: Week 5

Jeremy Cash is still looking for a job after being cut by the Carolina Panthers.

As the NFL season moves along, The Blue Zone takes a look at how some former Blue Devils in the NFL performed in Week 5. 

Vincent Rey, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Rey continued his slide in performance, failing to record a single tackle in the Bengals' 20-16 victory against the Buffalo Bills. He started the season averaging six solo tackles and five assisted tackles through two games, but has now failed to record an unassisted tackle in the past two weeks as fellow linebacker Vontaze Burfict has emerged in midseason form coming off a suspension. 

Laken Tomlinson, LG, San Francisco 49ers

Behind Tomlinson, the 49ers offense looked better this week against the weak Indianapolis Colts, amassing 402 yards of offense. But San Francisco still lost 26-23 in overtime, remaining winless. Tomlinson and the offensive line is still looking to improve as the season progresses, giving up two sacks for 17 yards and creating very little running room for Matt Breida and Carlos Hyde, who ran for just 3.0 yards per carry. The slate won't be getting any easier for the 49ers, with three matchups with the top three teams of the NFC East starting with Washington on Sunday. 

Ross Cockrell, CB, New York Giants

After putting up goose eggs last week, Cockrell found himself on the stat sheet with two total tackles and an assisted tackle-for-a-loss. But the hapless Giants fell once again, dropping to 0-5. With season-ending injuries to their top three receivers—Odell Beckham, Brandon Marshall, and Sterling Shepard—the Giants' season looks like a lost cause, especially with a road matchup with the vaunted Denver Broncos on the horizon.

Lucas Patrick, G, Green Bay Packers

After starting his first career game against the Bears Sept. 28, rookie Lucas Patrick did not start this week against the Cowboys, as Brian Bulaga returned to the starting lineup from injury. He did record five snaps on special teams for the Packers, who came back with just 11 seconds remaining on an Aaron Rodgers touchdown to Davante Adams. Barring injury or other unforeseen circumstances, Patrick will likely not see another start for the season as David Bakhtiari is close to returning. 

Thomas Hennessy, LS, New York Jets

Hennessy performed well once again, fulfilling his duties as a long-snapper. The Jets connected on both extra points and Chandler Cantanzaro hit a 57-yard field goal for a team that is a surprising 3-2 and atop the AFC East following a 17-14 victory over the winless Browns. Hennessy also recorded his first career tackle on a punt return during the game. The Jets will look to prove their worth against their rival, the New England Patriots next week. 

Jeremy Cash, LB

After being released from the Panthers last week, Cash still finds himself unsigned as a free agent.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 5” on social media.