The Devil's in the Details: Week of Sept. 19

<p>Joe Giles-Harris and the Blue Devils brought the Victory Bell back to Durham Saturday afternoon after defeating North Carolina in a milestone victory for head coach David Cutcliffe.</p>

Joe Giles-Harris and the Blue Devils brought the Victory Bell back to Durham Saturday afternoon after defeating North Carolina in a milestone victory for head coach David Cutcliffe.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers.

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key stats from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside a thrilling victory over rival UNC in football and continued success in soccer and field hockey. 

100

Saturday afternoon’s showdown with North Carolina was an eventful one for the Blue Devils. In addition to Duke retaining control of the Victory Bell after defeating the Tar Heels 27-17, the win also marked the 100th of the Blue Devils head coach David Cutcliffe’s illustrious career. Cutcliffe—who took over the program in 2008—now has 56 wins at Duke and currently ranks third on Duke Football's all-time win list behind Wallace Wade and Bill Murray who respectively have 110 and 93 victories.

Find out the whole story'A people business': David Cutcliffe reflects on what 100th win means to his career 

61

After taking a 20-17 lead with 6:09 remaining in the game on a one-yard touchdown plunge by running back Shaun Wilson, Duke needed a defensive stop in order to secure the victory. On third-and-12 from the Duke 44-yard line, the Blue Devils got pressure on North Carolina quarterback Chazz Surratt, who threw a misguided, desperate two-handed pass into the waiting hands of Duke cornerback Bryon Fields Jr. With an open field in front of him, Fields returned the interception for 61 yards and sealed the fate of the game.

Find out the whole storyFIELDS DAY: Redshirt senior's late pick 6 seals Duke win in Chapel Hill

10

Duke women’s soccer won two more contests this week and extended its program-record winning streak to 10 games. Friday, the No. 4 Blue Devils shutout No. 18 Notre Dame 3-0 on the road before coming home Sunday and sending the streak to double digits with a 2-0 victory over Pittsburgh at Koskinen Stadium. Goalie EJ Proctor brought her career goals against average down to 0.7—best in program history—with four saves over the two games. If not for a heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss to then-No. 6 North Carolina to open the season, Duke would be undefeated today at 11-0-0.

Find out the whole story—Perfect 10: Duke women's soccer's win streak hits double digits with Sunday shutout AND Duke women's soccer sets program record with ninth straight win, shuts out Notre Dame

0

For the fifth time this season—out of eight games—Duke field hockey held its opponent off the scoreboard with a 3-0 shutout of Old Dominion at Williams Field Sunday. The No. 2 Blue Devils—which boast a top-three defense in goals against average at 0.7—have let up a mere two goals in their seven victories this season. While goalkeeper Sammi Steele has been a force in the cage—with the nation's sixth-best save percentage of 0.813—she only had to make one save against the Monarchs Sunday thanks to the defensive efforts of her team as a whole.

Find out the whole story—Duke field hockey shuts out Old Dominion to close homestand

11

After narrowly falling 2-1 to then-No. 8 North Carolina Sept. 16 in its only previous matchup against a ranked opponent this season, the Duke men’s soccer team showed it could compete with the best during a 2-1 road victory over No. 11 Syracuse Friday. In a hard-fought physical battle, goals from Brian White and Markus Fjørtoft gave Duke a 2-0 lead, which it was able to hold onto—despite 13 shots from the opposing side—thanks four huge saves from freshman goalkeeper Will Pulisic.

Find out the whole story—Thriller at No. 11 Syracuse gives Duke men's soccer first ranked win of season

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the Details: Week of Sept. 19” on social media.