Muslim Students' Association endorses Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee

After meeting with the four Young Trustee candidates, the Duke Muslim Students’ Association has decided to endorse Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee.

Tanner’s awareness and sensitivity towards Durham—developed through his experiences as a local Durhamite and as the Vice President of Durham and Regional Affairs in Duke Student Government—is a critical perspective needed for the Board. Furthermore, we believe he demonstrated the best understanding of the role and would be the most accessible of all the candidates to current students. Tanner’s prioritizations of affordability-access to Duke, of coordinating development with Durham and of increasing faculty diversity were stated with tangibility and an understanding of how change occurs on the institutional level. Finally, as a religious organization, we appreciate Tanner’s past and current commitments to fostering religious tolerance and acceptance across campus.

We were highly impressed with the caliber of all the Young Trustee candidates this year, and our endorsement was a difficult decision. Steven Soto’s genuine and heartfelt work on campus—as Blue Devils United president, as a founder of Project Arts and as a collaborator behind the Washington Duke Scholars Program—has had an immeasurable impact on the Duke community; we especially admired his collaborations with various marginalized groups. Anya Ranganathan’s involvements with diversifying the Panhellenic Association, supporting survivors of sexual assault and bringing menstrual products to the Bryan Center have set her apart as a leader among students. Lastly, Uzoma Ayogu’s extensive work related to diversity and inclusion—especially his work with international students—demonstrates his forward-thinking ideas of what a Duke education should mean. We truly enjoyed speaking with all of the candidates and believe any of them would bring a unique and valuable perspective as Young Trustee.

Signed:

Farhan Khan, President of Duke MSA, T‘17

Share and discuss “Muslim Students' Association endorses Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee” on social media.