DURS endorses Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee

The executive board of Duke Undergraduate Research Society had the opportunity to meet with the four Young Trustee candidates on Feb. 5. All candidates possessed a love for Duke University and an array of exceptional personal qualities.

Anya Ranganathan has had extensive experience thinking at an interdisciplinary and institutional level. Specifically, her involvements in both finance and scientific research speak to her experience with intersecting perspectives. We especially admired her confident and commanding presence, which will serve her well if elected to the position.

Steven Soto conveyed a keen respect and understanding of diversity. His lived experiences among the the Latinx, first generation college student, and LGBT communities have endowed him with a lens that is much-needed in the boardroom.

Uzoma Ayogu spoke with great charisma about his desire and capacity to give back to Duke. Further, his involvement with Dukes and Duchesses as well as Pratt’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee speaks to Uzo’s engagement with both the history and the future of Duke.

Ultimately, DURS chose to endorse Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee. We were most impressed by his wealth of institutional knowledge and his clearly articulated vision for Duke, both of which were uniquely informed by his Durham roots. Tanner also has the most experience with higher levels of university policy, as indicated by his seat on the Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees and on President Brodhead’s Committee on Staff, Wages and Diversity. We believe these experiences make him most qualified to understand and care for the long-term health of the university. Further, Tanner’s diverse involvements at Duke, especially his founding of a Christian-LGBTQ group and his facilitation of Common Ground, speak to his keen awareness of the social and cultural issues impacting campus.

The Duke Undergraduate Research Society confidently recommends Tanner Lockhead as the best choice for Duke University, for our standing as global leaders in research and education, and for the greater Research Triangle Park and Durham community.

Signed:

Kathy Dai, T’18

Sarina Madhavan, T’18

Maaz Mulla, T'18

Varun Jain, T'18

Samantha Bouchal, T'19

Christopher Lai, T'20

Azim Dharani, T'20

Share and discuss “DURS endorses Tanner Lockhead for Young Trustee” on social media.