'My food points just disappeared': Students express frustration over high prices at West Union

<p>Some students have voiced concerns about the high prices for food in West Union, causing them to run out of food points more quickly than in past years.</p>

Some students have voiced concerns about the high prices for food in West Union, causing them to run out of food points more quickly than in past years.

When students said hello to West Union, many also said goodbye to their food points. 

Throughout the semester, students have raised concerns about the steep prices for food in West Union, compared to other on-campus vendors. Brian Taylor, Trinity ’16 and chair of the Duke University Student Advisory Committee, noted that his committee has heard a few complaints from students about the costs of eating in West Union. 

“[Most concerns are] in relation to the ability to find a lunch option at the same price point as the freshmen equivalency,” he wrote in an email.

Junior Bryan Higgins said that West Union prices are particularly high for the quality and amount of food served.

“If I were using my own personal finances instead of my food plan, I don’t know if I would frequent West Union,” he said.

He explained that by finals week during the Fall semester, he had run out of food points. Although he initially went to West Union because it was “new and exciting,” he will not continue to do so this semester, he said.

First-year Sara Idris said she also ran out of food points last semester because of West Union. This semester, she plans to go there less often this semester to save money.

But not everyone is upset about the cost of eating in West Union—for some, the increase in options and wide range of food are worth the extra dollars. 

“The quality at West Union is pretty good so [that’s] why it tends to be pricier,” sophomore Julie Uchitel said. 

However, she noted that prices vary by vendor, with some giving adequate food for the price and others unnecessarily up-charging. 

“The times that I have been [to West Union], Ginger and Soy is usually what I prefer because of how much you get, but first semester I went to CaFe a lot, and my food points just disappeared,” Idris said.

Robert Coffey, director of dining services, explained that Duke Dining works to make sure campus prices at West Union are comparable to local market pricing.

“The menu and pricing for West Union was vetted with much student involvement with DUSDAC and three years of West Union focus groups run by [Duke Student Government],” he wrote in an email to the Chronicle.

Coffey explained that Duke requires vendors to offer a Duke living wage for full-time employees.

Taylor also noted that each independent restaurant sets prices at its own discretion according to “what they feel is an appropriate price for the market and allows them to run a successful business.”

Duke Dining does not determine the prices of West Union vendors, he explained. 

And there is not much Duke Dining can do to help students who may not be able to afford West Union food. Taylor noted that Duke Dining has little control over either West Union prices or food plans.

“As we do not determine West Union pricing, there would be no way for us to adjust food plans up or down in response to the various price points offered by the vendors,” he said.

Correction: A previous version of this article noted that Taylor said his committee had heard numerous complaints about the prices in West Union. The article has been updated to show that DUSDAC has received "a few" complaints. The Chronicle regrets the error. 

Share and discuss “'My food points just disappeared': Students express frustration over high prices at West Union” on social media.