This week in Duke history: NBA commissioner Adam Silver writes about own student government election

<p>Before Adam Silver became famous as the commissioner of the NBA, he wrote for The Chronicle and was busy campaigning for student government&nbsp;at Duke.</p>

Before Adam Silver became famous as the commissioner of the NBA, he wrote for The Chronicle and was busy campaigning for student government at Duke.

Adam Silver, former Duke student and current NBA commissioner, was always interested in leadership it seems.

But it turns out, in a joking way from our standpoint anyways, he may have run into a conflict of interest at Duke.

On Jan. 27, 1982, Silver wrapped up a story on a student government election for The Chronicle—one of two bylines he had in the newspaper—by also mentioning in his cowritten article that he, along with a few others, were elected.

Journalism 101, however, says you should probably not write a story if you are also someone mentioned in it. We can blame the Chronicle editors for that.

Silver, a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, graduated with a degree in political science in 1984. During the course of his time at Duke, he was elected to the Student Organization Commission in the ASDU, which was the name for the student government.

He also ran for president of student government as a junior and was nominated to fill the vacant post of vice president at-large, but in both cases he withdrew his name.

Share and discuss “This week in Duke history: NBA commissioner Adam Silver writes about own student government election” on social media.