Duke public policy students contemplate future careers in Trump’s government

<p>The Sanford School of Public Policy’s Embark program aims to help&nbsp;students find jobs and internships in policy work.</p>

The Sanford School of Public Policy’s Embark program aims to help students find jobs and internships in policy work.

In light of a Donald Trump's recent presidential victory, some Duke public policy students are reevaluating their career options in the federal government.

Although some students plan to avoid working in the federal government altogether, others remain committed despite acknowledging deterring factors. The Sanford School of Public Policy’s Embark program, which helps students find jobs and internships in policy work, is prepared to assist public policy majors in their future aspirations.

“[A Trump presidency] makes working in the federal government less appealing because I don’t want to be seen as supporting Trump’s policies, and they don’t align with what I hope to do in terms of changing social policy,” said Clark Edwards, a master’s student in public policy. 

Senior Kasey Wien, who is majoring in public policy and statistics, said she will be reevaluating her professional plans as well. Although she has long considered a job in the United States Department of Agriculture, she currently has doubts. 

“Now that Trump will be appointing the Secretary of Agriculture, I'm not sure I want to work under his administration,” she wrote in an email. 

Wien added that she will more likely apply for state or local government jobs, as well as jobs in the private sector.

However, not all students are ruling out government work. Senior Arielle Kahn noted that her initial ambivalence about a Trump presidency has changed into a newfound determination to pursue her desired career path.

“I was incredibly excited to start my career in government under the leadership of the first female president,” Kahn wrote in an email. “After some time, though, I have come to realize that I will not change my career aspirations and the work that I care about will be more important than ever.”

Suzanne Valdivia, assistant director of internships at the Sanford School of Public Policy, noted that she is remaining optimistic about internship prospects for public policy majors looking to complete major requirements this year.

“It is difficult to know for sure which Senate and congressional offices and committees will be hiring interns while this transition is occurring," she said. "But I am hopeful that things will settle down by the time our students start applying to internships in those offices in the new year.”

Valdivia added that she has faith in students who remain dedicated to making change through policy and politics, regardless of big political shifts. 

She noted that policy work can also be done in think tanks, advocacy groups and lobbying firms. 

“I don’t think these areas are going to see a downturn in their need for smart, motivated students who want to make an impact,” she said.  

Share and discuss “Duke public policy students contemplate future careers in Trump’s government ” on social media.