Florida men's basketball 2016-2017 season preview

Florida Gators

Overall record: 21-15, 9-9 in the SEC

Head coach: Mike White

Tenure at Florida: 2nd season

Career coaching record: 122-55

Home court: Stephen C. O'Connell Center

Starters: G Kasey Hill, G KeVaughn Allen, F Devin Robinson, F Justin Leon, C John Egbunu 

Bench:  G Chris Chiozza, F Keith Stone, F/C Kevarrius Hayes, G Canyon Berry 

Overview: In head coach Mike White's second season at the helm, the Gators will look to get back near the top of the SEC after missing the NCAA tournament a year ago. White—the son of Kevin White, Duke's vice president and director of athletics—has built the program's identity around defense, and Florida was one of the better defensive teams in the country a year ago.  

The Gator defense will need to lead the team once again as Florida will be without last year's leading scorer and rebounder Dorian Finney-Smith. Although the Gators welcome back five of their other top six scorers from a year ago, they will need to find a go-to scorer before the start of conference play. Guard KeVaughn Allen could make the biggest jump for Florida. 

The Little Rock, Ark., native has the quickness to get into the paint, but also a good enough perimeter stroke to keep defenses honest. College of Charleston transfer Canyon Barry—the son of Hall of Famer Rick Barry—also showed an ability to score points in bunches a season ago and will have to adjust to a higher level of competition. 

One thing that needs to go right: The Gators take advantage of their continuity to emerge as the second-best team in a weak SEC. 

One thing that could go wrong: Without Finney-Smith, Florida struggles to find points all season and cannot make up for it with its defense. 

Share and discuss “Florida men's basketball 2016-2017 season preview” on social media.