Appalachian State men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Appalachian State Mountaineers

Overall record: 9-22, 7-13 in the Sun Belt

Head coach: Jim Fox

Tenure at Appalachian State: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 21-39

Home court: Holmes Center

Starters: G Ronshad Shabazz, G Emarius Logan, F Griffin Kinney, F Tyrell Johnson, F Isaac Johnson

Bench: F Bennett Holley, G Trey Ford

Overview: The Mountaineers are coming off a season of missed opportunities in which they had trouble closing out games and finished just 2-6 in contests decided by five points or less. Appalachian State got off to a rough start last season with a 2-9 record in nonconference games and continued to struggle in Sun Belt play en route to a 10th-place finish in the conference. 

This season, the Mountaineers will look to returning starters Ronshad Shabazz, Griffin Kinney and Tyrell Johnson to shoulder the burden of replacing Frank Eaves—the third leading scorer in the Sun Belt a year ago. Shabazz was a preseason All-Sun Belt fourth-team selection after averaging 11.9 points per game last season and will have to work with sophomore Emarius Logan to improve a -3.6 turnover margin that crippled Appalachian State against tougher opponents. 

The Mountaineers will play a challenging nonconference schedule this year with matchups against  fellow North Carolina schools Duke and N.C. State. Although both of the ACC opponents will likely win by a large margin, the experience of playing a Power Five team on the road is one that the younger players on the Appalachian State roster will look to build off of. 

One thing that needs to go right: Shabazz and Logan evolve into a dual threat in the backcourt and Tyrell Johnson becomes an anchor down low to help the Mountaineers finish better than expected in the Sun Belt. 

One thing that could go wrong: The offense continues to struggle with turnovers and the defense remains weak as Appalachian state limps to a last place finish in the Sun Belt.

Share and discuss “Appalachian State men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.