Report: Kyrie Irving will play in first Olympics

Former Duke point guard Kyrie Irving started his summer with his first NBA championship, and he could finish it with his first Olympic gold medal in August.

Irving accepted an invitation to play under his college head coach Mike Krzyzewski for the U.S. Olympic team in Rio de Janeiro, ESPN's Marc Stein reported Saturday.

After the Cleveland Cavaliers completed a historic comeback to win the NBA finals against the Golden State Warriors last Sunday, Irving said he needed time to decide whether he wanted to commit to the Olympics. 

LeBron James, his Cavaliers teammate, decided earlier this week to skip the Olympics and rest this summer after competing in the NBA finals in six straight years and playing in three straight Olympics, but Irving chose to take advantage of his first opportunity to play on the world's biggest stage. 

Fellow first-team All-NBA performers Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard will also be skipping this year's Olympics. 

A 6-foot-2 point guard, Irving won a gold medal with the U.S. at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and will be a key player during the Americans' attempt at a third straight Olympic gold medal in Rio de Janeiro.

Irving's inclusion will mark the second time Krzyzewski has coached one of his former players in the Olympics after Carlos Boozer played on the 2008 U.S. team in Beijing.

According to ESPN's report, Irving will be joined on the team by Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George, Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes, DeMarcus Cousins and DeAndre Jordan. 

The 12-man roster will officially be announced Monday afternoon.

Share and discuss “Report: Kyrie Irving will play in first Olympics” on social media.