Senior Jay Ruckelshaus attends State of the Union address Tuesday

<p>Senior Jay Ruckelshaus attended Tuesday’s address in Washington as the guest of Rep. Susan Brooks, pictured above.</p>

Senior Jay Ruckelshaus attended Tuesday’s address in Washington as the guest of Rep. Susan Brooks, pictured above.

Senior Jay Ruckelshaus attended Tuesday night’s State of the Union Address as the guest of Rep. Susan Brooks, a congresswoman from Indiana’s fifth district.

Ruckelshaus, who was recently named a recipient of the 2016 Rhodes Scholarship, is the founder and president of Ramp Less Traveled, a nonprofit organization that helps students with spinal cord injuries pursue higher education. Brooks said that she selected Ruckelshaus, a resident of her district, as her guest for the evening because of the advocacy and leadership he has provided for others with disabilities.

“I cannot think of a young person more inspiring than Jay Ruckelshaus,” Brooks said. “He is not just an inspiration to me, but to people across the country.”

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, and John Burness, former senior vice president for public affairs and government relations from 1991 to 2008, said they had not heard of any other Duke students who have attended the State of the Union in the past.

Ruckelshaus—who was paralyzed in the legs and arms after a diving accident the summer before his freshman year—is the recipient of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship and Angier B. Duke Scholarship.

After founding Ramp Less Traveled, he planned and led the inaugural Beyond Disability, Beyond Compliance national retreat, a national conference on higher education and disability focused on how colleges can accommodate students with disabilities beyond the mandated minimum required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Last week Indiana Governor Mike Pence awarded Ruckelshaus with the Sagamore of the Wabash, an award that honors people who inspire others through their service, character and example. He is the youngest recipient of the award during Pence’s tenure.

Ruckelshaus, who is pursuing a degree in political science with triple minors in philosophy, history and English, plans to pursue a master’s of philosophy degree in political theory at the University of Oxford in England. The Rhodes Scholarship, which was awarded to only 32 of 869 applicants this year, pays for two or three years of study at the University of Oxford.

He explained that although he has always been interested in politics, he has largely approached it through philosophy, so the opportunity to “see democracy in person” was particularly exciting.

“It is a dream come true to see President [Barack] Obama’s final State of the Union, to be able to hear him lay out his legacy as he sees it,” Ruckelshaus said.

In his final address, Obama discussed the economy, how to use technology to address today’s challenges and how to promote national security without becoming the world’s policeman.

Ruckelshaus said he received the call from Rep. Brooks inviting him to the State of the Union about two weeks ago, noting with a laugh that he was just getting over the shock of getting a call from the Congresswoman when she invited him to the State of the Union.

The Indianapolis native said he loves Washington and envisions himself working there in some capacity in the future.

Brooks said Ruckelshaus has shown a commitment to public service and desire to ensure that all citizens have the same opportunities.

“With the background and education he’s gotten at Duke and will get at Oxford, I think he could be an incredible elected official himself one day,” she said.

Amrith Ramkumar contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Senior Jay Ruckelshaus attends State of the Union address Tuesday ” on social media.