Martin hits 2 field goals in Senior Bowl

For former Duke kicker Ross Martin, Saturday was business as usual.

Martin made the most of his Senior Bowl invitation at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., Saturday, knocking a pair of field goals through the uprights for the South, helping the South cruise to a 27-16 against the North.

Martin—a four-time All-ACC selection and three-time honorable mention All-American selection—converted a 48-yard field goal with 20 seconds left in the first quarter and added on a 40-yard field goal early in the third quarter. His 33-yard attempt late in third quarter was blocked. The Solon, Ohio, native also went 3-for-3 on extra points.

Martin made waves earlier in the week during Senior Bowl practices, when he booted a 60-yard field goal, aided in part by a breeze.

Duke’s other Senior Bowl representative—safety Jeremy Cash—did not record a tackle for the South squad. A consensus first-team All-American, Cash underwent wrist surgery in December that kept him out of Duke’s New Era Pinstripe Bowl win against Indiana Dec. 26.

Duke has now had two players participate in the Senior Bowl for consecutive years. Cash and Martin followed in the footsteps of Laken Tomlinson and Jamison Crowder, who shined at last year’s Senior Bowl and were drafted in the first and fourth rounds of the 2015 NFL draft, respectively.

With the Senior Bowl now behind them, Cash and Martin will continue their preparation for the 2016 NFL draft. Both are expected to work out in front of NFL scouts at Duke’s pro day, and Cash was extended an invite to participate in the NFL scouting combine beginning Feb. 23.

Share and discuss “Martin hits 2 field goals in Senior Bowl” on social media.