Duke offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery hired as next East Carolina head coach

After two seasons running the offense in Durham, Scottie Montgomery will head a few hours east to take the head coaching job at East Carolina.

Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports first reported Saturday night that the Pirates were going to hire Montgomery to replace Ruffin McNeill, who was fired Dec. 4. ESPN and other media outlets reported the hiring Saturday night as well, but the school did not confirm until early Sunday evening.

Montgomery will be introduced as the Pirates' next head coach Monday at 11 a.m. and will begin his duties Jan. 1, according to the school's release.

"Ten days ago I said that I was looking for someone who will be a fierce competitor, who will lead our football program to championships, while equally demanding academic success. As we worked through the entire search process, it became overwhelmingly clear that Scottie Montgomery possesses every attribute necessary to put our football program in a position to win championships and graduate our student-athletes,” East Carolina athletic director Jeff Compher said in a release announcing Montgomery's hire Sunday. “His foundation is his family and his character is exhibited through his reputation built by his unparalleled work ethic and the truly special relationships he develops with his players and coaches."

Duke averaged 30.5 points per game this season under Montgomery, and posted a 7-5 regular-season record en route to a berth in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana Dec. 26. During Montgomery's first year as offensive coordinator in 2014, the Blue Devils racked up 421 points—an average of 32.4 per contest—which was the second-most prolific total in program history.

Montgomery has a lot of history with the Duke program. He played in the NFL for three years after playing wide receiver for the Blue Devils during his undergraduate years and graduating in 1999, and Montgomery returned to the sidelines to work under head coaches Ted Roof and David Cutcliffe for four seasons from 2006-09. The Cleveland County, N.C., native then spent three years as an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers before returning as Duke's offensive coordinator prior to the 2014 season.

Mongtomery will take over an East Carolina team that went 7-5 this year after totaling 26 victories the previous three seasons.

Share and discuss “Duke offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery hired as next East Carolina head coach” on social media.