XFactor: Duke basketball vs Georgia Southern

Duke returns to the hardwood Tuesday night against Georgia Southern after a 10-day break for final exams. The Blue Devils will be looking to win their seventh-straight matchup, but will have to do so without the services of senior forward Amile Jefferson, who is out indefinitely with a foot injury. Before each game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in Duke's upcoming contest:

Duke: forward Chase Jeter

With Jefferson sidelined for an unknown amount of time, Jeter is going to be thrust into the spotlight after playing limited minutes in the first month of the season. Although Jeter will probably not start in Jefferson's absence, the Las Vegas native will see extended time off the bench at the power forward position. Jeter has looked somewhat shaky so far this season, but has shown potential at times, including a seven-point, four-rebound performance back on Nov. 4 against Bryant. 

But to make an impact for the Blue Devils, Jeter will have to turn around the struggles he has had against better opponents. The freshman did not play against Indiana and VCU, and only saw a couple of minutes against Kentucky and Georgetown. Although the Blue Devils are playing a weaker opponent in Georgia Southern, Jeter will be in the game long enough to begin to understand his teammates' tendencies and how he fits into various rotations used by head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Jeter doesn’t have to post a double-double as Jefferson frequently did, but if he can backfill the senior's production on the offensive end—specifically on the offensive boards—the Eagles will face an uphill climb against Duke. 

Georgia Southern: guard Jake Allsmiller

If the Eagles want any chance at pulling off a monumental upset in Cameron Indoor Stadium Tuesday, they are going to have to shoot well and find offensive production outside of their top three scorers—Tookie Brown, Ike Smith and Mike Hughes. The trio averages more than 10 points per game and has proven that Georgia Southern is an offensive-minded team that is capable of putting up points in a hurry.

Allsmiller only averages 8.4 points per game and has shot just 32 percent from the floor. But in the Eagles’ three wins this season, he has posted 12.7 points per contest, while only scoring 5.2 points per game in defeats. In Georgia Southern’s recent 76-67 loss to Savannah State, the Nashville, Tenn., native only scored two points and played a season-low 16 minutes. When Allsmiller posts big numbers, the Eagles look like a different a team on the court, and add a fourth scoring threat in addition to Brown, Smith and Hughes. Another plus for Allsmiller is his 6-foot-5 frame which will allow him to rise up over Blue Devil defenders and knock down perimeter shots. If Allsmiller finds his stroke early and helps stretch the Duke defense, Georgia Southern could put the Blue Devils in a hole early and force the young team to find their way without their captain. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Georgia Southern” on social media.