Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 6

With non-conference play coming to a close, teams around the nation are beginning to find their true identities and the contenders are separating from the pack. Duke moved up one slot to No. 7 after a week off for final exams, and returns to action Tuesday night against Georgia Southern. 

Sooners cruise to cement status near top of poll 

In a matchup of unbeatens, Oklahoma toppled Villanova on the strength of a season-high 14 3-pointers. The Sooners made their first six field goals to open the game and jumped out to an early 15-3 lead to help make quick work of the Wildcats in the Pearl Harbor Classic. With the victory, Oklahoma moved to No. 3 in this week's poll—right behind conference favorite Kansas, who sits at No. 2. 

After falling to Michigan State in the Sweet 16 a year ago, senior Buddy Hield and an experienced Sooners squad appear to have entered this season with a chip on their shoulder. 

Texas stuns North Carolina with buzzer-beater 

After rising all the way to No. 3 in last week's poll, the Tar Heels took a tumble to No. 11 this week after a 84-82 road loss to Texas Saturday. Guard Isaiah Taylor hoisted the potentially game-winning three for the Longhorns, but it bounced off the rim and came to guard Javan Felix who stepped into a wide-open game-winning jumper. With the loss, North Carolina has now dropped two road games to unranked non-conference opponents so far this season. 

Iowa State rallies against in-state rival to stay perfect

With the Hawkeyes fired up at home and senior Jarrod Uthoff firing on all cylinders, the Cyclones appeared to be on the way to their first loss of the season. But a strong second half behind the play of guards Monte Morris and Jameel McKay helped Iowa State stay unblemished and overcome a 20-point deficit. Although Uthoff finished with 32 points on 12-of-20 shooting, it proved to be all for night as Hilton Magic reigned supreme and the Cyclones came up with another miraculous win. With the victory, Iowa State moved to No. 5 in this week's poll. 

Virginia raises its game in the Jimmy V Classic 

Despite struggling to score for much of the first half, the Cavaliers put the clamps on West Virginia's offense and outscored the Mountaineers 40-18 en route to a victory in the Jimmy V Classic. Forward Anthony Gill had a season-high 20 points in the victory and was one of four Cavaliers in double-figures. With the win, Virginia moved to No. 8 in the latest AP Poll, while the previously-undefeated Mountaineers fell to No. 20.

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 6” on social media.