Duke in the NFL: Week 11-12

With the NFL season in full swing, we check in on which former Blue Devils are seeing time on the gridiron around the league.

Jamison Crowder, WR—Since scoring his first career touchdown against New Orleans on Nov. 15, Crowder has had a couple of slow weeks for the Redskins. In his last two games, the former All-ACC receiver only has three catches for 17 yards. It seemed as if Crowder would score his second career touchdown this past week against the Giants, but his four-yard catch was found to be just short of the goal line after a booth review. One possible reason for Crowder’s decline in production has been the return of star wideout DeSeanJackson to the lineup—who was battling injuries earlier in the season. Regardless, Crowder has played a key role on an offense that has helped the Redskins move into first place in the NFC East.

Vincent Rey, LB – Rey continues to be one of the staples of Cincinnati’s defense and is ranked 18th in the league with 77 tackles. Rey had three tackles and a pass breakup Sunday night in a 34-31 loss to Arizona and followed up that performance with six tackles in a blowout victory against St. Louis. In addition to his strong performance on the field, there is more good news for Rey off the field, as it was announced last week that he was nominated for the Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award.

Laken Tomlinson, OG – Tomlinson has become a fixture in the Lions' starting lineup as the season enters its final month. The former All-American guard under Duke head coach David Cutcliffe recently helped Detroit rack up 45 points, 28 first downs and 430 total yards in his team's Thanksgiving beatdown of the Philadelphia Eagles. Tomlinson even got some camera time in the second half after committing a hands-to-the-face penalty. Expect the rookie to remain in the starting lineup, as coaches are rather pleased with his performance despite a rookie mistake now and then.

Ross Cockrell, CB – Cockrell and the Steelers secondary struggled Sunday in a 39-30 loss to the Seahawks, allowing Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson to throw for 345 yards and five touchdowns on the afternoon. Cockrell totaled four tackles and forced a fumble in the contest, but the Pittsburgh secondary is understandably under fire after a poor performance. Critics are calling for Cockrell to see more time at cornerback after starter Antwon Blake missed tackles and failed to cover Seahawks wideout Doug Baldwin this past week. Cockrell is currently playing the nickel corner position, but would be called up to the starting lineup if head coach Mike Tomlin wants to make a change. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 11-12” on social media.