Letter to the Editor

I’ve been out of the military for 20 years now, and I served two tours of duty in Iraq during desert storm/desert shield, one tour in Yugoslavia enforcing a no flying zone and a tour in Haiti to remove their military junta. I received just about as many war metals as any twenty something year old should have. However, I have really never had anyone honor my commitments and say, “thank you, Mr. Dalton, for your service,” until today. I could have never understood the impact it makes on a soldier’s life and the emotional impact and pride it brings until today!

I see it on TV all the time, and it also brings tears to my eyes to watch our young soldiers get just a little recognition for putting there life on the line. I got my chance today to feel the pride after 20 years. It was amazing!

I went to Duke University Medical Center for a follow up appointment on Veteran’s Day. A very young nurse named Lisa was treating me and sticking me arm to pull blood. During this process, I could tell Lisa was working to hold a conversation with me to divert my attention. I told her I was not really affected by the needles due to the fact that I was in the military and when we went overseas they killed us with shots for our health and safety.

Within 20 minutes, she came back in with a thank you card with many signatures on it, handed it to me and said thank you for your service. I responded, “I am not serving you; you’re serving me and you’re doing a fine job.” She shook her head and replied, “Mr. Dalton you served me, and I could not do what I do without soldiers like you. Thank you again.” She smiled shook my hand and then walked out. Tears came to my eyes and I welled up in pride.

Ken Dalton

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor” on social media.