Georgetown basketball 2015-16 season preview

Georgetown Hoyas

2014-15 record: 22-11, 12-6 in the Big East (Round of 32)

Head coach: John Thompson III

Tenure at Georgetown: 12th season

Career coaching record: 317-157

Starters: G D’Vauntes Smith Rivera, G L.J. Peak, G Tre Mourning, F Isaac Copeland, C Bradley Hayes,

Bench: C Jessie Govan, F Paul White

Overview: After falling to fifth-seeded Utah in the Round of 32 in last year’s NCAA tournament, the Hoyas will have to replace three starters and could face off against the Blue Devils in November. Georgetown is one of four teams—along with Duke, Virginia Commonwealth and Wisconsin—participating in the 2K Classic benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project Nov. 20-22, and would face the defending national champions on the tournament’s final day if things fall into place.

On the court, the Hoyas return a lot of perimeter talent, but have some big holes to fill in the frontcourt. Georgetown lost leading shotblocker and 6-foot-9 forward Mikael Hopkins as well as 6-foot-10, 350-pound center Joshua Smith. The duo combined for just a shade less than 16 points per game last season, and both averaged 5.8 rebounds per game to lead the team.

Senior D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera will be the focal point of the offense for head coach John Thompson III’s squad, coming off a season in which he averaged 16.3 points per game on 42.1 percent shooting. The 6-foot-3 guard was an All-Big East First Team selection a year ago, and will likely have to shoulder most of the load early on as the Hoyas incorporate their three new starters. Sophomore forward Isaac Copeland merited an All-Big East Rookie selection last season and should slide in nicely at the four spot, but the big question will be what kind of production Georgetown can expect from 6-foot-10 freshman center Jessie Govan—who was tabbed as the No. 12 center in his class by ESPN.

One thing that needs to go right: Copeland showed a lot of progress during the course of the last season, nudging his way into the starting lineup by the end of the year. The Hoyas can’t afford to have him take a step back in his sophomore campaign, and need Copeland to be a double-digit scorer and solid rebounder.

One thing that could go wrong: A lack of size down low dooms Georgetown as Govan can’t quite step in and make an immediate impact, leaving the likes of Smith Rivera without enough support on the perimeter.

Share and discuss “Georgetown basketball 2015-16 season preview” on social media.