XFactor: Duke football vs Wake Forest

Duke is looking to end the regular season on a high note Saturday when it travels to Winston-Salem, N.C. to face Wake Forest at 12:30 p.m. at BB&T Field. The Blue Devils are looking to snap a four game losing streak and end the regular season with a 7-5 record heading into the postseason. Every week throughout the football season, we will break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest:

Duke: wide receiver T.J. Rahming

Rahming stepped up for a thin Duke receiving group when the team needed him to last week against Virginia, hauling in 12 passes for 190 yards and a touchdown in the 42-34 loss. The Blue Devils will face a stout Demon Deacon pass defense that ranks 33rd in the FBS, giving up only 195.5 yards per game through the air. Despite this, Rahming’s short-space quickness could allow him to find holes in the defense, especially on deep routes that could result in big plays. Against Boston College back on Oct. 3, Rahming caught five passes for 75 yards against a secondary that remains one of the best in the nation. 

Rahming has proved he can go up against any defense, but his play also needs to remain mistake-free. Last week vs. the Cavaliers, the Powder Springs, Ga., native had a couple of early false start penalties and a drop on Duke’s final drive that came up just short. If Rahming can have another solid outing, minus the costly mistakes, he could help the Blue Devil offense march down the field against the Wake Forest defense.

Wake Forest: quarterback John Wolford

Wolford was hampered by a nagging ankle injury earlier in the season, but has become healthier in recent weeks and is starting to look more and more like the quarterback that began the season with two games of 300-plus yards passing. The sophomore has only completed 119 passes this season for 1453 yards and seven touchdowns, but has the potential to take advantage of a struggling Duke pass defense that will be without the services of All-America safety Jeremy Cash in the first half. 

The Blue Devils have given up an average of 354 yards passing during their four game losing-streak and have struggled to defend the deep ball. Although Wolford is still a young player and learning the ropes, he will be looking for a solid outing against Duke to carry some momentum into the 2016 season. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke football vs Wake Forest” on social media.