Week 12: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut

Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe held his weekly press conference Tuesday, addressing the Blue Devils' recent 42-34 loss to Virginia and the upcoming matchup against Wake Forest. Duke (6-5, 3-4 in the ACC) faces the Demon Deacons, (3-8, 1-6) at BB&T Field Saturday at 12:30 p.m. Here are some of the more notable sound bytes from Cutcliffe’s press conference:

During its four-game losing streak, Duke has struggled to correct its mistakes and play consistently. Offensively, the Blue Devils have struggled to capitalize on opportunities and sustain drives. Against Virginia, offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery’s unit committed three turnovers and struggled to establish its rushing attack, netting just 100 yards on the ground. But the Blue Devils could gain confidence from their performance in the fourth quarter when backup quarterback Parker Boehme found a rhythm and led the offense on back-to-back touchdown drives.

Defensively, Duke must try to limit explosive plays. In the last four games, the Blue Devils have surrendered many plays of 15 yards or more thanks to missed tackles, miscommunication and mistakes in coverage. It is important that Duke generates a greater pass rush with their defensive lineman this Saturday against a Demon Deacons squad that has struggled all year. The Blue Devils have only been able to pressure opposing quarterbacks when they blitz thus far this season.

What we haven’t done recently as a team is play the way you play when you win games. We’ve done things that lose game. Not throughout the entire 60 minutes. Not the same group. We’ve always been able to win as a team. Obviously we haven’t trained them to a point to where we can consistently get that.

Although Wake Forest has lost five straight games, the Demon Deacons have demonstrated that they can make big plays and have tested several opponents. Earlier this season, Wake Forest pushed then No. 11 Florida State to the final minutes of the fourth quarter until an interception secured the win for the Seminoles.

We’re playing a team that is in a similar struggle, that’s played really good. They’re really well-taught. They’re taught well in every phase. They’ve continued to get better because of their youth in certain areas. They’ve been really consistent on defense and they’re really good on defense. And their offense can make plays.

Safety Jeremy Cash will not be available for Duke in the first half against Wake Forest after his ejection for targeting against Virginia. In Cash’s absence, Duke will likely have to adjust its coverage scheme and will rely on redshirt junior Corbin McCarthy, redshirt sophomore Phillip Carter as well as redshirt sophomore Evrett Edwards. As a strike safety, McCarthy has made 28 career appearances and recorded 46 tackles.

I thought that the hit was late. I think the call was right. I think we have an excellent player in Corbin McCarthy who’s experienced at safety. In circumstance, Phillip Carter who stepped in for Deondre Singleton and played really well. I feel really good in that regard. The positive of it all is that we have healthier, fresher Jeremy Cash in the third quarter and fourth quarter.

Cutcliffe announced that Sirk and Boehme would continue to rotate at quarterback. Boehme filled in smoothly for an injured Sirk against Pittsburgh, completing 23 of his 42 passes for 248 yards. After an early fumble against Virginia, Boehme ignited the Blue Devil offense in the fourth quarter and established a rhythm with freshman wide receiver T.J. Rahming. Sirk also recorded a solid performance Saturday as he completed 65 percent of his passes threw for 208 yards and one touchdown.

I’m not a big believer in [changing quarterbacks.] Granted, both have been playing pretty well. You’re going to see Parker play. I do believe there are times when you go with the hot hand. 

Share and discuss “Week 12: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut ” on social media.