XFactor: Duke football vs Virginia

Duke heads into Charlottesville, Va., Saturday afternoon attempting to snap a three-game losing streak against Virginia at Scott Stadium. After a 6-1 start, the Blue Devils’ losing streak has dropped them from the ACC Coastal Division title race, but the squad can seize momentum heading into its bowl game with a pair of victories to close out the regular season. The Cavaliers are heading into the game merely playing for pride, as Mike London’s cannot become bowl eligible this season. Every week throughout the football season, we will break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest:

Duke: defensive backs Alonzo Saxton II and Jeremy McDuffie

Ever since two-year starter Bryon Fields went down with an injury during fall camp, Duke has struggled to find stability at the cornerback position across the field from veteran Breon Borders. Saxton began the season in Fields’ spot for the first eight games, but did not look particularly impressive, and found himself on the losing end of big pass plays in one-on-one coverage. Following the Miami game, the coaching staff decided to make a change at the position, inserting Jeremy McDuffie into the starting spot, but the true freshman struggled mightily against North Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Expect both players to see time Saturday in Charlottesville against a Cavalier offense that likes to display its aerial attack. Quarterback Matt Johns ranks third in the conference with 2,295 passing yards and has thrown for 17 touchdowns this season. Johns’ favorite targets, Canaan Severin and Taquan Mizzell have a proven ability to find open spots in the field and both rank in the top 10 of the ACC in receiving yards. Saxton and McDuffie will need to play their most complete games of the season and limit these targets in coverage when called upon if the Blue Devils want to snap their losing skid. Considering that Johns has thrown a league-high 14 interceptions this season, coming away with an interception or two could be just what Duke needs to tilt the game in its favor. 

Virginia: safety Quinn Blanding

A former five-star recruit out of Virginia Beach, Va., Blanding has not disappointed during his time in Charlottesville and is one of the most complete players on the defensive side of the football for Virginia. However, the unit as a whole has struggled this season, allowing opponents to score almost 33 points per game, which ranks 97th in the FBS.

Although Duke has struggled on the offensive side of the football at times this season, its emerging rushing attack and dual-threat quarterback in Thomas Sirk means that if the Cavaliers don’t come out fired up on defense early, it could be a long day. After posting 123 tackles and three interceptions last season, the sophomore is having another solid year in 2015 with 94 tackles and an interception. Blanding will be all over the field for Virginia, giving him multiple opportunities to make plays in the secondary or close to the line of the scrimmage. If he can force a turnover or two in the passing game and take away the big play for the Blue Devils, he could help the Cavaliers pick up their fourth win of the season. 

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke football vs Virginia ” on social media.