Week 11: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut

Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe held his weekly press conference Tuesday, addressing the Blue Devils' recent 31-13 loss to Pittsburgh and the upcoming matchup against Virginia. Duke (6-4, 3-3 in the ACC) faces the Cavaliers, (3-7, 2-4) at Scott Stadium Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Here are some of the more notable sound bytes from Cutcliffe’s press conference:

Cutcliffe announced the dismissal of redshirt sophomore linebacker Chris Holmes, junior wide receiver Johnell Barnes and redshirt sophomore wide receiver Terrence Alls. Holmes played in six games this season, contributing four tackles including one for loss. Barnes, who Cutcliffe expected would become a primary offensive weapon for redshirt junior quarterback Thomas Sirk, ranked second on the team with 34 receptions for 411 yards with two touchdowns. Alls, who was suspended for the first six games of the season, caught six passes for 54 yards in four appearances.

With the loss of both receivers, Anthony Nash, T.J. Rahming and Max McCaffrey will start against the Cavaliers. The Blue Devils will also look for increased production from redshirt freshmen Chris Taylor and Trevon Lee.

“This is not a reaction to anything that has occurred during the last couple weeks. This has been something that we have worked very hard with these young men to continue to understand what's expected of them.”

The Blue Devils have lost three consecutive games dating back to a last-second defeat against Miami on Halloween. Duke has since struggled on both sides of the ball. Although they registered 368 total yard against the Panthers, the Blue Devils could not sustain drives and committed three turnovers. Defensively, Duke struggled to stop Pittsburgh on third downs and surrendered several explosive plays. Panthers quarterback Nate Peterman threw for a career-high three touchdown and his team registered 448 total yards in the victory.

“It’s been difficult to deal with three losses in a row. Nobody is panicking. But we do know it’s a test. We’ve looked at a lot of tape. I’m excited to see what the response will be. I expect results immediately because they’re all correctable mistakes.”

Virginia has had many opportunities to win tight games, but has struggled to make big plays late in the fourth quarter. Four of the Cavaliers’ seven losses have been decided by seven points or less. Early in the season, Virginia held a late lead against then-No. 9 Notre Dame until the Fighting Irish scored a last-minute touchdown to secure a 34-27 win. Against Miami, the Cavaliers held a 15-14 lead in the third quarter before surrendering ten consecutive points in a 27-21 loss to the Hurricanes.

“Virginia is a very talented team that probably has played the toughest schedule in the country. I went through game by game. [The games] are right down to the wire. They’re gifted in all areas. Tremendous skill on the offense.”

After sitting out against Pittsburgh with an upper body injury that he sustained against North Carolina, Thomas Sirk’s status remains questionable for the Virginia match. In Sirk’s absence, redshirt sophomore Parker Bohme completed 22 of 42 passes for 248 yards. The backup also ran for 80 yards and one touchdown.

“[Thomas Sirk] practiced today. He’s much better. What we’re having to do is give him work and see what the residual is. So he is day-to-day. [Parker] gave the staff more confidence by the performance he gave [against Pittsburgh].”

Share and discuss “Week 11: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut” on social media.