2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Kendall Cooper

<p>Junior Kendall Cooper picked up a double-double Sunday to help fuel a dominant Blue Devil effort in the post against a shorter Saint Leo squad.</p>

Junior Kendall Cooper picked up a double-double Sunday to help fuel a dominant Blue Devil effort in the post against a shorter Saint Leo squad.

Kendall Cooper

• Year: Junior
  • Height: 6-foot-4
  • Position: Forward/center 
  • Last year’s statline: 4.0 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 0.9 APG

Game Breakdown: Cooper is a consistent offensive piece for Duke around the rim. She shot 42-percent from the floor a year ago—good for fourth on the team— and appeared in all 34 of the Blue Devils’ games last year.

The Carson, Calif., native has the ability to play on the block and has expanded her game to become a capable mid-range threat. Her combination of height and skill makes it difficult for any defender to contain her around the rim, and her ability to flash out and hit jumpers adds another dimension to her game that makes defenders' jobs even harder. On defense, Cooper's lateral quickness helps her defend the high post and ensures that she does not get beat by quicker guards.

Cooper is a versatile and physical player. Her size lends her to be a presence in the post, and her speed allows her to be effective when she leaks into the backcourt. She has shined for Duke on several occasions, such as her 21-point outing in the ACC Tournament against Wake Forest, but has yet to consistently play at her maximum potential for the Blue Devils. 

Role on the Team: Cooper enters her third season for the Blue Devils as one of Duke’s three primary frontcourt threats. She will be expected to play at the four and five positions along with sophomore Azura Stevens and graduate student Amber Henson. Cooper adds depth to the Blue Devils that will allow head coach Joanne P. McCallie to play a bigger lineup and play Stevens at small forward.

Cooper will likely come off the bench, but see significant time, as she will be tasked with lightening the load for Stevens and Henson. Cooper provides a solid option for McCallie to go to when she wants to give her starters some rest or when Duke matches up against bigger opponents.

Projected Statline: 7.0 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 1.5 APG

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Kendall Cooper” on social media.