Duke men's basketball 2015-16 player preview: Brandon Ingram

Brandon Ingram

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-9
  • Position: Guard/Forward

Game Breakdown: Ingram committed to Duke late in his senior year despite expectations that he would select North Carolina because of the Kingston, N.C., native's strong roots to Tar Heel basketball. Ranked as the nation’s No. 3 recruit in the 2015 class by ESPN, Ingram led his high school to four North Carolina state championships—just the second player ever in state history to do so. The former McDonald’s All-American averaged 24.3 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 3.0 blocks per game in his senior year. Ingram impressed college coaches and scouts with his ability to play any wing position thanks to his adroit ball-handling skills and smooth shooting stroke.

With a 6-foot-9 frame and a 7-foot-3 wingspan, Ingram has a lengthy frame that will give him an advantage on the defensive end. Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has experimented with placing Ingram at the top of some zone defensive schemes to stifle opposing guards and prevent them from generating open passing lanes. Despite his size, Ingram's offensive skill set is much more comparable to a guard than a forward, with a developed outside shot and an arsenal of moves that allow him to attack the rim. Expect him to be moved all around the court to take advantage of matchup advantages depending on who the Blue Devils are playing.

Role on the team: If Duke wants to make another deep postseason run, Ingram will have to carry a heavy load. With the departure of Justise Winslow to the NBA, Ingram is the only Duke player who can use his length and athleticism to create mismatches on the wing, and the Blue Devils will likely look for him to be one of their primary scorers. Considering that Duke only has one true point guard in freshman Derryck Thornton, Ingram may also occasionally serve as a main ball-handler. The question remains whether he is strong enough to play at the four position. Unlike Winslow who weighed 225 pounds and often rotated between the small forward and power forward spots, Ingram weighs just 190 pounds and has little experience defending strong and physical big men.

NBA comparison: Since Ingram initially rose on to the national radar as a top high school recruit, many have compared him to six-time All Star and former Most Valuable Player Kevin Durant. Throughout his eight years in the NBA, the 6-foot-11 Durant has been one of the league’s best scorers and shooters despite his slender frame. Like Durant, Ingram can use his length to shoot directly over opposing defenders and also has the body control necessary to drive into the lane and finish at the rim.

Projected Stats: 16.6 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 2.0 APG

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2015-16 player preview: Brandon Ingram ” on social media.