2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Erin Mathias

Erin Mathias

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-4
  • Position: Forward/center
  • Last year's statline: 1.6 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 0.1 BPG 

Game Breakdown: Mathias is a tall, strong post player who can rebound well and finish around the basket. The sophomore brought down 53 rebounds last season, good for a 2.0 rebounds per game and averaged 1.6 points per game. Mathias' most important performance of the year came in a tight first round victory against Albany when she was perfect from the floor on three attempts to help Duke close out the game. The Pittsburgh native has good fundamentals down low and can run the floor particularly well for a frontcourt player.

Mathias can pose problems to opponents on the defensive end with her size. She uses good footwork to stay in front of players in the low post and tallied three blocks and five steals last season. After becoming stronger in the offseason, the 6-foot-4 power forward will be prepared to take on a bigger role this year.

Role on the Team: It was hard to find playing last season behind four-time All-American Elizabeth Williams, but her departure will force Mathias to become more of a contributor this year. After averaging just 8.7 minutes per game in 27 appearances as a freshman, Mathias is ready to se added minutes for a team that is thin on front court depth. If Amber Henson and Kendall Cooper get into foul trouble early in games, Mathias and junior forward Oderah Chidom will be called upon to contribute. 

Projected Statline: 2.1 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 0.5 BPG 

Share and discuss “2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Erin Mathias ” on social media.