Week 4: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut

Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe held his weekly press conference Tuesday, addressing Duke’s 34-20 victory against Georgia Tech and the upcoming matchup against Boston College. The head coach touched on several topics including the Blue Devil’s defensive success and Johnell Barnes’ ejection from the Georgia Tech game. Duke (3-1) faces the Eagles (3-1) Saturday at 3:30 p.m at Wallace Wade Stadium. Here are some of the more notable sound bytes from Cutcliffe’s press conference:

The Eagles’ biggest strength is their defense. Boston College leads the nation in fewest yards surrendered and ranks second in points allowed. Led by defensive lineman Harold Landry, the Boston College defenders are athletic and show many different looks and disguises to confuse oppose offenses.

“This Boston College team…is really something to watch. They’ve only given up two touchdowns in four games. They’re big. They’re a well-oiled machine. They do a lot of things on defense. They defend every aspect. They have great run defense, but they also have a great pass defense. We’re coming off a game that was physical. We’re going into another game that’s physical. They’re a very very well-coached football team.”

Towards the end of the Georgia Tech game, junior wide receiver Johnell Barnes was called for a targeting penalty and ejected, forcing him to sit out the first half against the Eagles. The Blue Devils will look for redshirt freshman Chris Taylor, true freshman T.J. Rahming and junior Ryan Smith to fill the void. Cutcliffe is optimistic that his squad can benefit from Barnes’ absence in the first half.

“There’s nothing you can do, but play other people. Everybody has got an opportunity to step up. I told our staff I am going to view it this way. We get a fresh Johnell Barnes in the second half of the game. He should come out very hungry after the half and play at a level hopefully can be special and something he will build on as we move forward.”

In the past three games, defense has emerged as Duke’s main strength. Led by senior safety Jeremy Cash, senior linebacker Dwayne Norman and redshirt junior defensive tackle A.J. Wolf, the Blue Devil defense has averaged 7.0 tackles for loss and limited opposing offenses to 11.5 points per game, which ranks seventh in the nation.

“[Defensive coordinator Jim] Knowles is using his weapons very well. And then players are making plays. Jeremy Cash is really a veteran. Players are making plays. I think we’re more aggressive just in general upfront. We’re quicker, more athletic and stronger…particularly in the interior of our line.”

The Blue Devils failed to convert two point-after attempts early against Georgia Tech. The rainy weather was partially responsible for the botched attempts. With Duke leading 26-20 midway into the fourth quarter, the two missed conversions would have been crucial if Georgia Tech scored a touchdown.

“Those two points are still bothering me. Sometimes, the longer the ball stays down there, the wetter it gets. You have a low snap…it was wobbly and high and right and Will just couldn’t get it down. The next one just gets in your head. It was a pretty good snap. He just didn’t get it down.”

Several Blue Devil defenders have shifted positions while in Durham. Norman became a linebacker this offseason after two years at safety while Wolf converted from defensive end to defensive tackle two years ago. The position changes have added speed and athleticism to Duke’s defense.

“It’s a conscious effort on our part to try to put speed on the field. With speed comes quickness. Quickness also lets you be explosive right at the point of attack.”

Stay with the Blue Zone for continued coverage of Duke football as the Blue Devils look to move to 4-1 for the season and 2-0 in the ACC.

Share and discuss “Week 4: Quick Hits from Lunch with Cut” on social media.