2015 Louisville football season preview

Following an impressive 2014 defensive season in which they finished tied for first in the country in interceptions and fifth in defensive passing efficiency, the Cardinals and head coach Bobby Petrino will look to challenge Florida State and Clemson in the Atlantic Division. With a struggling offense last season leading to an open opportunity for starting roles, Louisville has yet to name a starting quarterback for the upcoming season.

The biggest concern for the Cardinals will be replacing the production from standout wide receiver DeVante Parker. Parker caught 43 passes for 855 yards in just six games for Louisville in 2014 after missing the first seven games with a foot injury, and left with a share of the school record with 33 career touchdown catches. But Petrino has plenty of talent to step up—the aptly named James Quick filled in admirably in Parker’s absence last season, and Charles Standberry made an immediate impact as a freshman.

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham and his front seven leaders will continue to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks, led by defensive end Sheldon Rankins, the 6-foot-2, 303-pound All-ACC pick. The strength up front must compensate for an inexperienced secondary—the Cardinals must replace all four starting defensive backs after all four signed with NFL teams. One of the players stepping into that void is safety Josh Harvey-Clemons, newly eligible after sitting out last season following his transfer from Georgia when Grantham left to join the Cardinals in January 2014.

Louisville starts the season with a tough test against No. 6 Auburn, which is also looking to bounce back from a disappointing end to its 2014 season.

Share and discuss “2015 Louisville football season preview” on social media.