Recruiting Roundup: Giles, Gabriel visits approaching; women's basketball adds Odom

This week's big news comes right from our own backyard as five-star center Marques Bolden took his official visit to Durham this past weekend. After a prolific summer on the court, Bolden has emerged as a top target for the Blue Devils. The 6-foot-10 big man is currently ranked 20th on the 2016 ESPN 100, but expect him to rise as the high school season progresses. According to the 247Sports crystal ball, Duke is favored to the land the talented big man with Kansas being the closest competitor. 

Another team to worry about in Bolden’s recruitment could be Alabama. The perennial football juggernaut is led by new head coach Avery Johnson—who has proven his ability to recruit well after landing five-star guard Terrence Ferguson. Look for Bolden’s recruitment to be a major headline throughout his senior year in high school and his decision to come down to these three teams. 

The Blue Devils also made waves in the recruiting world this past week when they offered 6-foot-9 power forward Javin DeLaurier a scholarship. The Charlottesville, Va., native is currently ranked No. 44 on the 2016 ESPN’s 100 and is viewed as a four-star prospect. It is interesting to note that the offer to DeLaurier came just a few days after Wenyen Gabriel’s visit to Maryland. Considering that both Gabriel—also a highly targeted Duke prospect—and DeLaurier play similar positions and each look to be a three-or-four year college players, this offer may have been a precaution in case Gabriel does end up heading to College Park next season. 

Duke's current top target—power forward Harry Giles—visited Wake Forest this past weekend and reportedly had a terrific visit 

Most believe the top-ranked high school senior will eventually commit to the Blue Devils, but it is worth monitoring the Demon Deacons and Kentucky's efforts to land the coveted recruit.

This upcoming week should be a busy one for the Blue Devils as both Wenyen Gabriel and Harry Giles plan to visit Duke's campus: 

With the Blue Devils determined to add a couple more players to Frank Jackson and Jayson Tatum in the Class of 2016, the prospects' visits this week could have a big impact on Duke's recruiting efforts. 

Duke women's basketball adds Leaonna Odom 

The Blue Devils continued their current run of success on the recruiting trail when they secured a recruitment from perimeter talent Leaonna Odom. The Los Alamitos, Calif., native is best off the dribble and has the explosive athletic ability to succeed on the perimeter and in transition at the next level. With the top-ranked recruiting class taking the hardwood at Cameron Indoor Stadium this fall, head coach Joanne P. McCallie continues to rack up commitments from major recruits. 

Share and discuss “Recruiting Roundup: Giles, Gabriel visits approaching; women's basketball adds Odom ” on social media.