New-look Heatwave lineup to perform in Blue Zone

<p>Past Heatwave concerts have featured more electronic dance music, but students will see a shift this year.</p>

Past Heatwave concerts have featured more electronic dance music, but students will see a shift this year.

Duke University Union announced the lineup for its annual Heatwave Concert Tuesday—Danish rock band New Politics will headline the Friday performance, with New York alternative rock band X Ambassadors opening.

New Politics has been featured recently on several music festival lineups including Summerfest and the Billboard Hot 100 Music Festival and just released its new album, “Vikings.” X Ambassadors is known for their single “Renegades” and will be touring this fall to promote their debut album, “VHS.” Senior Tyler Lawrence, chair of Duke University Union Campus Concerts, wrote in an email that this lineup will differ from previous years’ lineups, which have featured electronic dance music acts such as Kygo in 2014 and Krewella in 2013.

“I’m looking forward to bringing something new to Duke that we haven’t seen much of, if any at all in my time here,” Lawrence wrote. “This show promises a solid lineup of alternative rock and rock performances that I hope is a unique experience that students here have not yet had on campus.”

Another change to this year’s concert is its location. Although last year’s concert took place at the Keohane Amphitheater, in the past, the Heatwave concert has taken place on the main quadrangle on West Campus. Due to various construction projects taking place near the main quadrangle, this year’s concert will also be held in a new venue—the Blue Zone parking lot. Lawrence noted that the Blue Zone seemed like the best alternative in terms of its location and its size, though the proximity to West Campus will be missed by some.

“It was awesome to have it on main quad because I could see what was going on from my window,” senior Madhu Ganesh said. “I could easily attend the event, and come to my [dormitory] whenever I wanted. Being in the Blue Zone makes it harder to access.”

Many students were unfamiliar with the performers. Freshman Francia Fang said she had not heard of either band but is looking forward to the concert.

“I’m just glad there will be music. I’m definitely going,” she said.

Lawrence explained that the committee saw the concert as an opportunity to introduce students to new music and get the names of the artists into conversations.

“These bands are going to bring really high-energy performances, and I hope people get into it and have an awesome time with their friends. I want this concert to get students excited about the rest of the year on a really fun and positive note,” Lawrence wrote.

Neelesh Moorthy contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “New-look Heatwave lineup to perform in Blue Zone” on social media.