Recruiting Roundup: Blue Devils extend offer to Harvey; top 2016 prospects cut lists

Let’s start with the Blue Devils' latest offer to a Class of 2017 prospect. This week, Duke extended an offer to five-star small forward D.J. Harvey Jr.

Twitter Tweet

The Bowie, Md., native is the 17th-ranked player in the 2017 ESPN 60. At 6-foot-6, Harvey has the size to play either shooting guard or small forward at the next level and is recognized as one of the best shooters in his class. Although Harvey currently holds offers from many programs including Arizona, Georgetown, Louisville, Virginia and N.C. State, many believe that Duke is among the favorites to land the talented high school junior despite making a late offer.

Harvey, along with a few other Blue Devil targets, were in Chicago this weekend for the Nike Global Challenge. The Duke coaching staff had its eyes on a number of 2017 prospects including guards Trae Young, Troy Brown Jr. and Gary Trent Jr. and power forward Jarred Vanderbilt. Young and Vanderbilt particularly stood out in the latter stages of the tournament as the duo led their team USA West to the championship game and were named to the USA All-Tournament team.

After taking in the action Thursday and Friday night in the Windy City, the Blue Devils contingent headed east to New York during the weekend to watch the adidas Uprising All-American Camp, which featured 2016 target Frank Jackson.

Twitter Tweet

Jackson had a solid weekend playing for Team Rose as he averaged 11.5 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists in two games and shot nearly 60 percent from the field. The Alpine, Utah, native remains one of Duke's top targets at the point guard position in the class of 2016. According to 247Sports crystal ball, Duke is the heavy favorite to land Jackson at 92 percent.

Staying with the class of 2016, three top-five players cut their lists this past week and the Blue Devils were fortunate to make the cut for all three.

The top-ranked recruit in the class, power forward Harry Giles, trimmed his list to five schools Monday night on Twitter. Giles will end up deciding to attend Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas or his hometown Wake Forest.

Twitter Tweet

Point guard Dennis Smith Jr. cut his list to Duke, N.C. State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville and Wake Forest. Smith Jr. has had an interesting recruitment so far to say the least and considering the Blue Devils' increased interest in Jackson, it is a little surprising to see Smith still considering them. According to the 247Sports crystal ball, N.C. State is the overwhelming favorite to land the fourth-ranked player in the Class of 2016.

Duke also made the final nine for small forward Josh Jackson—the No. 3 prospect in the 2016 ESPN 100.

Twitter Tweet

Although the Blue Devils' inclusion with the other powerhouses on Jackson's list is nice, it seems unlikely that the forward will choose the Blue Devils considering the recent commitment of Jayson Tatum and the possible future commitment of Harry Giles—both of whom play a similar position to Jackson on the floor.

That’s all for this week’s recruiting roundup. Be sure to stay with the Blue Zone for all your recruiting news.

This post was updated at 9:25 p.m. to include Giles' announcement.

Share and discuss “Recruiting Roundup: Blue Devils extend offer to Harvey; top 2016 prospects cut lists” on social media.