Football Recruiting Roundup: Blue Devils add 2 3-star prospects, eye talented in-state quarterback

Although spring practice has come to a close for Duke, the Blue Devils are working hard on building a 2016 recruiting class that is currently one of the top recruiting classes in the country. This week, we take a look at two of the program's newest commits and see who else has Duke on their radar.

Blue Devils pick up a pair of 2016 verbal commitments

After a quiet two months to start 2015, Duke's coaching staff picked up a pair of huge commitments that have strengthened the class and cemented it as one of the country's top 2016 classes this spring. The first commitment was three-star linebacker Brandon Hill, who verbally committed to the Blue Devils and turned down offers from Clemson, Georgia and Notre Dame, among others. His commitment came after he took an unofficlal visit to Durham, which clearly impacted his decision to swiftly announce his intentions to attend Duke. Here is what the Columbia, S.C., native, told 247Sports.com's Adam Rowe following his announcement about why he made the decision at that time:

"Just being up there this weekend! Getting to hang out with the players and coaches just kind of re-enforced what I was already thinking. I put a lot of thought into it and honestly think it's the best collegiate combination of good coaches/players, good academics, and great preparation for the future."

Hill will fit perfectly in the Blue Devils' 4-2-5 defense and has strikingly similar physical characteristics to Kelby Brown, who is returning for a sixth season of eligibility in 2016. Hill—who is the first linebacker of Cutcliffe's 2016 class—could slide in and fill an important void when Brown departs after this season, possibly for the NFL.

Three-star offensive guard Jaylen Miller also announced his verbal commitment to Duke, forgoing offers from Miami, West Virginia, Purdue, Georgia Tech and Mississippi State. The Jacksonville, Fla. native, is part of a recent trend in which Blue Devil coaches have not only focused more on the state of Florida as a whole, but also the greater Jacksonville area. Current players such as Parker Boehme, Thomas Sirk and Dwayne Norman hail from the area and could joined by Miller in Durham in 2016. Miller is rated as the nation's 37th-best offensive guard and the 110th-best player in the talented-packed Sunshine State according to 247Sports.com.

The recent commitments have lifted the class to the 14th best in the country according to 247Sports, but only the fifth best in the ACC, as Miami, Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech have also gotten off to hot starts on the 2016 recruiting trail.

In-state quarterback top priority for Duke

Cutcliffe and his staff are hoping to add in-state dual-threat quarterback Chazz Surratt, but his recruitment comes with a Tobacco Road twist. The Denver, N.C., product has narrowed down his choices to Duke or North Carolina and will take official visits to each school soon before deciding where he will play. Surratt is the 12th-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country and the 13th-ranked overall prospect in North Carolina, according to 247Sports. Head coach Scottie Montgomery is hoping to woo the sought-after prospect, who would fit well into his spread offense. The Blue Devils have focused on recruiting mobile quarterbacks during the past four years.

We don't know yet when Surratt will make a trip to the Triangle to visit Duke and North Carolina, but a verbal commitment in May or June could be a possibility.

Share and discuss “Football Recruiting Roundup: Blue Devils add 2 3-star prospects, eye talented in-state quarterback” on social media.