Cash, Brown earn preseason All-American accolades from Phil Steele

Kelby Brown did not take the field for the Blue Devils in 2014, recovering from a knee injury. But his standout season on Duke's 2013 Coastal Division-champion team must have left quite an impact on college football analyst Phil Steele.

Steele's publication released its list of 2015 Preseason All-Americans Monday, which included both Brown and redshirt senior safety Jeremy Cash. Cash was named to the first team and Brown landed on Steele's second team. A total of eight Blue Devils were also named to Steele's Preseason All-ACC teams.

Brown racked up 114 tackles in 2013—11 for loss—and two interceptions and forced fumbles on his way to a first-team All-ACC selection. The NCAA granted him a sixth year of eligibility in the fall, giving head coach David Cutcliffe a veteran presence in the middle of the defense that will help offset the loss of 2014 Campbell Trophy winner David Helton.

Cash became the first Blue Devil in more than 20 years to garner consecutive All-American honors after a 2014 season during which he was the only defensive back in the country to amass at least 100 tackles, at least 10 tackles for loss and at least five sacks. The former Ohio State transfer also headlined a trio of Duke players on Steele's preseason All-ACC first team, joining center Matt Skura and kick-returner DeVon Edwards.

Brown was placed on Steele's second-team All-ACC list, joined by Edwards, who picked up his second selection as a defensive back. Offensive lineman Lucas Patrick and kicking specialists Ross Martin and Will Monday were third-team selections, and offfensive lineman Casey Blaser was named to the fourth team.

Duke opens the 2015 season at Tulane Sept. 3.

Share and discuss “Cash, Brown earn preseason All-American accolades from Phil Steele” on social media.