Duke teams receive 15 Public Recognition Awards from NCAA for APR scores

Full APR data was released by the NCAA Wednesday, showing that nine Duke teams posted perfect scores for the four-year period from the 2010-11 season through 2013-14.

The programs to earn scores of 1,000 were women’s fencing, men’s golf, women’s golf, men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, rowing, men’s swimming and diving, men’s tennis and volleyball. Duke's nine perfect scores ranked fifth among FBS schools. The baseball team's score of 992 also led the ACC.

The Blue Devil football team earned 992 points, which ranks second in the FBS, trailing only Wisconsin. The men's basketball team scored 995, placing third in the ACC.

The APR, which measures the academic eligibility of student-athletes, is used by the NCAA as a cut-off for postseason eligibility. In 2015-16, only programs with a score of 930 will be eligible, which will not be an issue for the Blue Devils—all 26 varsity sports scored at least 965.

Original Story from May 21: Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski stressed the importance of education during his visit to the North Carolina General Assembly May 19.

According to data released by the NCAA, the Blue Devils are holding up their end of that bargain.

Duke teams received 15 Public Recognition Awards from the NCAA for their Academic Performance Rate scores. The APR studies the athletic eligibility, retention and graduation of student-athletes and is the combination of multiple years' worth of data. Wednesday's awards were based on data stretching from the 2010-11 through 2013-14 academic years.

Among FBS schools, Duke tied for third with Northwestern, trailing only Stanford and Notre Dame. The Blue Devils have ranked in the top five in that sub-set in every year since 2007, claiming the top spot in 2008, 2010 and 2013.

Public Recognition Awards are given to teams with an APR score that places in the top 10 percent in their respective sport.

The Duke teams to receive awards Wednesday were baseball, men's basketball, women's fencing, football, men's golf, women’s golf, men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, rowing, men's soccer, women’s soccer, men's swimming and diving, men's outdoor track and field, men’s tennis and volleyball.

This story was updated May 27 at 2:10 p.m. to reflect the additional information released by Duke and the NCAA.

Share and discuss “Duke teams receive 15 Public Recognition Awards from NCAA for APR scores” on social media.