Nepalese students raise funds for earthquake relief

The GoFundMe page started by the four Duke students from Nepal raising relief funds for victims of Saturday's earthquake.

Four Duke students from Nepal have started a GoFundMe campaign to help the country recover from the devastating earthquake that struck Saturday.

The earthquake, which measured 7.8 on the Richter scale, is estimated to have killed more than 2,400 people and injured approximately 5,900, according to The New York Times. When it struck near Kathmandu, Nepal’s capital, it flattened sections of the city’s historic center and sent thousands of the city’s residents fleeing into the streets.

Hours after the earthquake hit, freshmen Pratiksha Sharma and Suman Bajgain, junior Abhishek Upadhyaya Ghimire and senior Laxmi Rajak created a GoFundMe campaign with the goal of raising $15,000 to aid the relief process.

Rajak, who grew up outside of Kathmandu, was studying when she received word of the quake, which struck at 2:11 a.m. She immediately began trying to contact family and friends still living in Nepal. Although she has heard back from most of them, there remain a few she has not been able to reach.

“There’s so much going on right now—trying to balance receiving reports from Nepal, connecting with family and studying for exams,” Rajak said. “But the support we’ve received from the Duke community has been amazing, and I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far.”

As of Sunday night, 291 people had donated $8,501 to the campaign.

Rajak explained that Bajgain and Sharma will be returning to Nepal in less than two weeks to work with local organizations in the relief process. The money the group raises will go the organization they feel provides the most direct relief, though they have not yet chosen a specific one, she said. Rajak also emphasized that they hope their funds will support victims in rural communities, who often receive less attention.

Bajgain and Sharma will use a Facebook page to post updates, pictures and provide details about how the money is being spent, according to their GoFundMe page.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta offered his support for the group's fundraising efforts Sunday afternoon—sending an email to the student body that included a message from Sharma, Bajgain, Upadhyaya Ghimire and Rajak introducing their cause.

“Though it occurred thousands of miles away, this is a tragedy that affects all of us,” Moneta said. “I want to acknowledge the extent of the devastation there, and to applaud our students for stepping up.”

The email Moneta sent—including the students' message—can be viewed below:

Dear students,
The devastation caused by the earthquake and many subsequent aftershocks in Nepal is tragic. Our thoughts go out to the many victims and their families with hope for stability and recovery as soon as possible. But, for now, we mourn the many losses and seek ways to be of support and service.
A group of Duke students, themselves from Nepal, have launched an effort to raise funds to support their community and I share their message below. Please feel to re-distribute it to any who might want to help.
Even as we focus on the needs of so many others, I wish you well with your end of year academic work and of the summer ahead. May your future achievements contribute to preventing tragedy and promoting peace and prosperity for all!
Larry Moneta
Vice President for Student Affairs

Hi Everyone,
We are Nepali undergraduates at Duke University. Today (April 25) at 02:12 AM a huge earthquake measuring 7.8 in Richter Scale struck Nepal. While we are in the US and can't lend our support to our friends in Nepal directly, we are starting a GoFundMe to help them recover from the devastating earthquake in the most effective way we can. Details about the earthquake have not been substantial; according to the reports, more than 1800 people have died and over 4500 injured.
So, please support us in our efforts by donating and/or spreading the word. The amount collected will be used directly in providing relief to those affected by the quake. Two of us will be returning to Nepal in less than two weeks and will work with local organizations in the relief process. We will use the money to provide food, clean water, and shelter to the victims. We will create a Facebook page for the campaign, and once we get to Nepal and start working on the relief process, we will post the updates and pictures through the Facebook page; we will also provide details on how the money is being used.
If you have any questions, please contact us through emails.
Thank you so much for your help! Keep Nepal in your thoughts and prayers!
Link: http://www.gofundme.com/swg6psg
Sincerely,
Pratiksha Sharma (ps179@duke.edu)
Suman Bajgain (sb374@duke.edu)
Abhishek Upadhyaya (au15@duke.edu)
Laxmi Rajak (lr99@duke.edu)

Share and discuss “Nepalese students raise funds for earthquake relief” on social media.