Justise Winslow declares for NBA draft

The latest Duke roster domino fell Tuesday as Justise Winslow decided on his future as a Blue Devil. The Houston native officially cast his hat into the ring, joining classmate Jahlil Okafor in declaring for the 2015 NBA draft.

In his first and only season in Durham, Winslow posted 12.6 points and 6.5 rebounds per game, and victimized opponents with emphatic blocks all season long. Considered a likely one-and-done since the beginning of the season, he rocketed up the draft boards with his performance in the NCAA tournament, averaging 14.3 points and 9.3 rebounds per contest.

At 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, his ability to drive the lane and finish through contact was on full display in the national semifinal against Michigan State, when the freshman poured in 19 points and went 9-of-11 from the charity stripe. Winslow released a statement in a press release Tuesday afternoon:

“This year at Duke University, my dreams and aspirations have literally come true. Since I was a kid in third grade playing for the Houston Jaguars, I envisioned one day playing at the collegiate level and winning a championship. If you fast forward 10 years and my dream became a reality. The friendships and relationships I’ve formed with those a part of the Duke and Durham community have been even better than winning the National Championship. With that being said, my family and I have decided that I should declare for the NBA draft this year. Considering the success and growth that I have experienced over this past year as a player and as a person, I believe it is time to take the next step on my career path and play at the highest level.”

The swingman hit a funk early in ACC play, scoring in single-digits in three straight games in January before being shut out entirely at St. John's Jan. 25 while battling a nagging shoulder injury and a fractured rib. From there on out, though, Winslow was consistently productive, reaching double-figures in 19 of Duke's final 20 games and recording seven double-doubles.

Winslow's resurgence coincided with more minutes for the freshman at the power forward position, a change that became permanent when Matt Jones moved into the starting lineup for good Feb. 21 against Clemson. With his size and athleticism, Winslow was able to hold his own on both ends of the floor.

“We’re very happy for Justise and his family,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in the release. “He had a sensational year, both on and off the court. He was an amazing factor for our success in winning the national championship. From everything we have found out, Justise is projected to be a high lottery pick and we believe that to be true. This is a great time to take advantage of this opportunity. We’re behind him all the way and love him and his family.”

With the departures of Okafor, Winslow and senior guard Quinn Cook, Duke's 2015-16 roster will lose three starters and 55.8 percent of its scoring. Both of those figures could go up if freshman Tyus Jones decides to join his classmates in leaving for the NBA, a choice the Apple Valley, Minn., will have to make soon. Rice transfer Sean Obi and incoming freshmen Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter will offset the loss in bodies, but Krzyzewski will have to repackage the defending national champions around a new arsenal of weapons.

DraftExpress.com had Winslow listed as the No. 5 pick in its latest mock draft.

Share and discuss “Justise Winslow declares for NBA draft” on social media.