Duke basketball 2014-15 player review: Quinn Cook

Quinn Cook

Season breakdown: Coming into the season as the lone senior on a team starting three freshmen, Cook was expected to make his biggest contribution to the Blue Devils as a leader in the locker room. Yet, few could’ve predicted that the Washington native would elevate his game to the level Blue Devil fans saw this season.

Cook’s biggest improvement was his 3-point shooting—allowing Duke to space the floor effectively around star freshman Jahlil Okafor. The guard connected on more than three shots from beyond the arc in a remarkable 21 games this season. But, more impressive than the number of threes the senior knocked down was the situations he hit them in. In big games against Virginia and North Carolina, Cook combined to hit 9-of-13 shots from deep including jumpers down the stretch that helped the Blue Devils cut their second-half deficits in both contests.

One of Cook’s biggest contributions to the squad this season was his willingness to accept increased responsibilities on defense. After Duke struggled mightily to defend guard-oriented Miami and N.C. State early in conference play, the senior stood up to the challenge and defended every team’s best perimeter player in the second-half of the season. In the NCAA Tournament alone, Cook drew tough matchups against Utah guard Delon Wright and Michigan State guard Travis Trice—not to mention late regular-season matchups against Notre Dame’s Jerian Grant and North Carolina’s Marcus Paige.

Averaging 35.8 minutes per contest, the senior remained a model of consistency despite his heavy workload, which was the result of a thinner Duke roster. With his efforts on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, the guard was a key cog in the Blue Devils well-oiled rotation and a big reason why Duke brought home its fifth national title.

Results relative to expectations: Following first-round exits in the NCAA Tournament in his sophomore and junior seasons, Cook came into the season hungry for a national championship and that is exactly what he earned. Although many worried how the senior would work off the ball with freshman Tyus Jones coming to Durham to man the point, Cook made the needed adjustments to propel the duo into the conversation for the best backcourt in the nation.

With head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s urging, the Washington native became a more assertive and demonstrative character on the court, often firing up the Cameron crowd with his tenacious demeanor. But at the same time, the guard’s soft side allowed him to serve as a "big brother" of sorts for the Blue Devils talented freshman class.

Although Cook may not go on to play in the NBA, his career at Duke illuminates one of the true success stories in college basketball. After struggling to meet lofty expectations in his first three years as a Blue Devil, Cook returned to Durham each year focused on winning a national championship. It’s safe to say that after four years of tireless work, the guard ended his career at Duke on top of the college basketball world.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2014-15 player review: Quinn Cook” on social media.