SPORTS  |  ROWING

Successful Sunday scrimmage kicks off spring for Duke rowing

The Blue Devils kicked off the spring season with a scrimmage against Tennessee Sunday.

For the first time in four months, Duke finally got the measuring stick it had been looking for after countless hours of winter training—an opponent.

In their first event of the spring, the Blue Devils' top crews dominated Tennessee Sunday morning in an exhibition on Lake Melton in Oak Ridge, Tenn., to get some much-needed experience before next week's official event against Clemson, Syracuse and Boston University in Clemson, S.C.

The teams raced 1,500 meters four times, with Duke's top varsity eight and best varsity four winning all four of their respective segments to open the spring slate on a high note.

“It was exciting to get on the water and test our speed,” head coach Robyn Horner told GoDuke.com. “This was great race experience and will help us as we prepare to race next weekend at Clemson.”

After losing to the Lady Volunteers in the first two pieces, the Blue Devils' second varsity eight righted the ship, bouncing back to win the last two. Duke also gained momentum with its second and third varsity fours, which finished second and third, respectively, behind the Blue Devils' top quartet in the first two segments.

After a successful start to the spring campaign, Duke will look to take advantage of warmer temperatures this week before preparing for its next road trip to South Carolina Saturday.

Share and discuss “Successful Sunday scrimmage kicks off spring for Duke rowing” on social media.