Engaging racism and apathy

This week, the Black Student Alliance launched a social media and poster campaign called #WhatWeNeedFromDuke. Displayed at the BSA’s office, around campus and online, the campaign publicizes offensive Yaks that have been posted and emphasizes how students have to deal with racism and discrimination. The resulting social media turmoil of this past week is a combination of this campaign’s impact and Yik Yak’s frenzy of activity ranging from criticism of the campaign, questions about race dialogues on campus and more Yaks of the type that make their way into the campaign itself.

In a previous editorial, we discussed Yik Yak and the implications of having such a popular anonymous social media platform on our campus. We noted that the anonymity of Yik Yak might “empower individuals” as a non-judgmental outlet for insight. However, along with this sense of empowerment and freedom came a cautionary warning for students to not allow cyberbullying and derogatory comments to dominate the discourse. Unfortunately, this week has demonstrated some of the lows achievable on Yik Yak, and the platform has been a dysfunctional forum for racist rhetoric and speech about racist rhetoric, reflecting the state of race related dialogue at Duke.

Although the issue is multifaceted, we draw attention to two main points—first, the problem of racially charged and starkly racist remarks made by members of our community, optimistically a very small segment of it, and second, how anonymity through Yik Yak is counterproductive to fruitful discussion.

We must acknowledge that racism—both blatant and subtle—exists in the rhetoric of these Yaks. From overt remarks on intellectual inferiority or physical ugliness to attempting to suppress the speech of people of color—by shifting blame from the racist remarks to the “over emphasis” of discussions on race—many Duke students are perpetuating a culture of racism. It takes only a glance at BSA’s campaign to see the self-evident discrimination within the rhetoric.

Furthermore, the anonymous medium in which these discussions occur does not allow for true, productive conversation. The vitriol being expressed is even more harmful when names are stripped from the comments. In addition to the remarks themselves, equally concerning are the students who stand behind them by voting up messages meant to silence and hurt. This passive show of solidarity shapes the tenor of the discourse and reveals poor judgment of some members of the Duke community about race. Anonymity bolsters the confidence of cowardly racism.

The apathy and disinterest of the student body is apparent in the desire to constantly shift conversation away from a matter as important as race solely because it is uncomfortable. Students and the broader Duke community should be actively concerned about the conduct of its constituents. It should not be passive or in any way allow racism to carry on in whatever pockets or regions of Duke it occupies.

Take this moment to educate yourself. Do not underestimate the impact of an up vote or of commentary derailing the issue of race at hand due to apathy or discomfort. Although it should not fall upon the backs of those burdened by racism to also explain its effects, some students have graciously provided access to their experiences. Do not allow ignorance or apathy to perpetuate the problem. Engage fully with the issue—be accountable, be present and treat the discussion with the respect it deserves.

Share and discuss “Engaging racism and apathy” on social media.