Duke women's lacrosse overpowers Georgetown

The Blue Devils improved to 8-0 with a 12-4 win at Georgetown  Wednesday.
The Blue Devils improved to 8-0 with a 12-4 win at Georgetown Wednesday.

Playing the first of two games during spring break, the Blue Devils did not show any signs of taking a rest from tormenting their opponents.

Senior attackers Kerrin Maurer and Brigid Smith combined for six goals and four assists as No. 4 Duke crushed Georgetown 12-4 at Multi-Sport Field Wednesday in Washington. The high-powered Blue Devils, netting 15.0 goals per contest, can match their best start to a season Saturday with a road win at No. 12 Louisville.

“Our team is very versatile this year,” Smith told GoDuke.com. “And we have a lot of people creating opportunities and finishing them.”

Duke (8-0) needed just 77 seconds after the opening faceoff to score the first goal of the game. Assisted by Smith, Maurer found the back of the net to give the Blue Devils a lead they kept for the rest of the game. Three minutes later, another senior duo combined to double the Duke lead as Katie Trees fed Chelsea Landon for her eighth goal of the season.

Georgetown freshman Hannah Seibel and senior Lauren Schwalje netted a goal apiece in the first 14 minutes but Duke answered with three straight goals in a 12-minute span to go to the locker room with a commanding 7-2 lead. Freshman attacker Kyra Harney—fresh off a three-goal, three-assist performance in Duke's 15-10 win against Virginia Tech March 6—delivered a hat trick in the opening period to buoy the Blue Devil offense.

The dynamics of the game did not change after the two teams returned from the locker rooms for the second half.

Duke extended its lead as Smith—assisted by classmate Taylor Trimble—registered her third goal of the contest with 26:12 to play. After Caroline Tarzian put the Hoyas on the board one minute later to cut the lead to 8-3, the Blue Devils held Georgetown (1-4) scoreless for 20 minutes and used a 4-0 spurt to take complete control. Smith tailed a game-high fourth goal and sophomore midfielder Stuart Humphrey found the back of the net for the first time this season.

Maurer, who leads the Blue Devils in assists and scores this year, notched one goal and added two assists in the second period.

Junior goalkeeper Kelsey Duryea was a defensive stalwart between the pipes Wednesday, delivering 10 saves, including seven after intermission. The Beverly, Mass., native allowed just four goals to a team that entered averaging 8.25 scores per contest and also chipped in one caused turnover and four ground balls.

“Our team executed our defensive game plan very well,” head coach Kerstin Kimel said. “We limited their main attackers really well and Kelsey Duryea was really solid in the cage.”

The Blue Devils will hit the road again as they will play against the Cardinals in Louisville, Ky., Saturday for their third conference matchup. Duke and Louisville met last February in Durham before the Cardinals became card-carrying ACC members, with the Blue Devils emerging victorious by a 14-11 final.

“I’m sure it’ll be a great battle on Saturday out there,” Kimel said. “They’re well-coached and have a lot of depth and speed. I’m glad that we played them last year so they’re not totally brand new.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's lacrosse overpowers Georgetown” on social media.