2015 NCAA tournament preview: Lafayette Leopards

Lafayette Leopards

Record: 20-12, 9-9 Patriot

Head coach: Fran O’Hanlon (20th season)

Season summary: Winners of the Patriot League tournament, the Leopards are extremely efficient offensively. Lafayette ranks eighth in the country is scoring and makes 48.8 percent of its shot attempts, with a 41.3 percent clip from 3-point attempts that is good for second in the nation. Senior forwards Dan Trist (17.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG) and Seth Heinrichs (13.1, PPG, 5.8 RPG) pave the way for the Leopards, ranking 1-2 on the team in both scoring and rebounding.

However, Fran O’Hanlon—who played his college basketball at Villanova—and his team have not had great success against ranked teams. Lafayette suffered 27-point losses to both West Virginia and Kansas, further evidence as to why it faces a steep uphill battle against the Wildcats in the first round.

How they make a run: As a No. 16 seed, it is unlikely that Lafayette will be able to make a run. However, if they are able to knock down more than 50 percent of their 3-point attempts, the Leopards could make it a game against Villanova.

How they falter: Lafayette ranks 316th in the nation in rebounding. If they can’t find a quick solution to their problems on the glass, the Leopards will exit the tournament in timely fashion.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Lafayette Leopards” on social media.