2015 NCAA tournament preview: Cincinnati Bearcats

Cincinnati Bearcats

Record: 22-10, 13-5 AAC

Head Coach: Mick Cronin (9th year)

Season Summary: Cincinnati’s 2014-15 campaign was highlighted by wins against then-No. 19 San Diego State and then-No. 23 Southern Methodist. The Bearcats also beat Southern Methodist once earlier in the season before the Mustangs were ranked. Cincinnati’s junior forward Octavius Ellis—who leads the team with 10.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per game—has been the Bearcats’ greatest asset. A stout defense that ranked sixth in the nation allowing just 55.3 points per game and a balanced offensive attack—which relies on high-percentage shots from its front court players as much as guard play—are responsible for Cincinnati’s tournament berth.

How they make a run: Provided they beat Purdue by protecting the interior and forcing the Boilermakers to settle for deep shots, the Bearcats will need the basketball gods to look favorably upon them to beat Kentucky in the Round of 32.

How they falter: Ellis fails to establish a presence in the post, and the Bearcats allow their opponents to collect too many points down low.

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Cincinnati Bearcats” on social media.