Krzyzewski, players speak on Sulaimon dismissal following Virginia game

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.—After the way Duke stormed back against the No. 2 team in the country Saturday night, it was hard to fathom that just 48 hours earlier the Blue Devils were reacting to a historic decision that put the team in a negative light.

Duke dismissed junior guard Rasheed Sulaimon from its program Thursday afternoon, but the Blue Devils didn't let it affect their play Saturday. Sulaimon is the first player head coach Mike Krzyzewski has ever dismissed. Following Duke’s 69-63 victory at John Paul Jones Arena, Krzyzewski and a few of his players were asked about the Houston native’s departure and its potential impact.

“It’s as hard as the fact that I’ve never done it before. To comment more would be inappropriate. It is tough on everyone—not just on poor, old me. I’m okay. I’m supposed to be the adult. You never like those situations.”—Krzyzewski
“I think it’s inappropriate to comment on that situation right now—we’re just focused on the big-time win we just got. I’m just proud of the guys in the locker room.”—senior captain Quinn Cook
“I can’t speak for the team, but obviously that wasn’t an ideal situation. We miss ‘Sheed a lot, but as a team we have to move forward. We did that in a big way today. We’re always going to be behind Rasheed 100 percent.”—sophomore guard Matt Jones

Sulaimon’s sudden absence meant that the Blue Devils were facing the nation’s best scoring defense with just eight scholarship players and now must move forward with limited depth. Krzyzewski also briefly touched on what the future could hold for Jones and freshman Grayson Allen.

Jones played 24 minutes and had nine points Saturday night and Allen scored one point in 11 minutes after staying on the court for 17 minutes in seven previous ACC games.

Despite his 39-plus years of experience, the only men’s basketball Division I head coach to win 1,000 games is unsure of his team’s rotation will look like moving forward.

“We haven’t had time to plan—especially this week. It’s been a unbelievable week. We need to use all eight guys. Grayson got more minutes—I think he’ll help us," Krzyzewski said. "This was a good game for him to be in.”

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski, players speak on Sulaimon dismissal following Virginia game” on social media.