Open letter to the Cameron (not-so) Crazies

Freshman year, we got pummeled at home by a Tar Heel team that finished with 13 losses. Just as vivid is my memory of the unbearable din, rocking Cameron from start to finish except for stark silences during our free throws. Two hometown friends I snuck in left awestruck, captivated and amazed by the level of enthusiasm and originality our fans showed throughout the tough, 12-point loss.

Watching the Duke-Miami game Tuesday night, I hardly recognized the place. I've seen many Duke games since graduation but have never heard a more lackluster, feeble effort from the student body, regardless of score. Momentary cheering followed by long, quiet stretches? Gloomy fans standing in despair? Others crying—during the game? Contrast that with the Carolina home crowd at their last game who seemed to shake the rafters. I remember Florida State University's Sam Cassell once saying that Tar Holes were not a Duke kind of crowd, more of a wine and cheese crowd. What happened? Have you gotten spoiled, thinking you deserve home victories?

If you freeze your tails off to get into the game, then by all means—get into the game and stay into the game for 40 minutes! The five-man team sweats until the last buzzer. The sixth man likewise must show energy! Be loud and united! Create an atmosphere of unique, creative derision that intimidates any team to step onto our court! Otherwise, you're just any other home crowd.

Perhaps history will repeat itself. An alumnus letter to The Chronicle condemning our sixth man performance appeared just before the LSU game. We responded with the most boisterous, creative condemnations Shaq had ever heard. We students redeemed ourselves and Duke shut down the Tigers, going on to be crowned National Champions.

So, Duke lost two consecutive games, one at home. So what? They'll get it together. Coach K will work his magic. But you have to work yours.

Terry Harlin

Trinity '95

Share and discuss “Open letter to the Cameron (not-so) Crazies” on social media.