Former Duke football players hoping to boost NFL Draft stock in showcase games

Former Duke receiver Jamison Crowder has impressed in his time working out for NFL scouts.

For the first time in years, Duke fans will have multiple Blue Devils to follow in the months leading up to the NFL draft.

Senior receiver Jamison Crowder has done everything but slow down since being named to CBSSports.com’s All-Bowl team. The Monroe, N.C., native has stood out in practice leading up to Saturday’s Reese’s Senior Bowl. NFL Media’s Mike Mayock said Crowder was one of the standouts in Tuesday’s North team practice and that “no one covered him today.”

“The one-on-one drills are what this week is about and what I really enjoyed today was Jamison Crowder,” Mayock said on NFL Network. “He’s so quick, he beats press coverage, creates separation.... This kid is so quick, he’s going to be difficult for everybody to cover.”

Crowder, who had tallied an ACC-record 283 receptions in his four seasons with the Blue Devils, may make his way onto an NFL roster as a slot receiver, but he will likely also see time as a punt returner.

The 5-foot-9 speedster finished second in Duke history in punt return yards with 869 and punt return average at 13.37 yards per return. He capped his Blue Devil career in the Sun Bowl, in which he caught seven passes for 102 yards, returned a punt 68 yards for a touchdown and threw for a 12-yard score. Although he entered the offseason being considered a day-two pick, his stock seems to be on the rise as of late.

But Crowder has not been the only Duke receiver and Monroe native to thrive in January play.

Issac Blakeney led all receivers in the Medal of Honor Bowl Jan. 10 with five catches for 103 yards, an average of 20.9 yards per reception.

Blakeney suited up for the National Team, which was coached by Chan Gailey, who was hired Tuesday to fill the role of offensive coordinator for the New York Jets. With numerous scouts in attendance throughout the week, Blakeney impressed with a 46-yard touchdown and led the National Team to a 26-14 victory.

In his time at Duke, the 6-foot-6, 225-pound receiver played in 40 career games, finishing with 98 receptions for 1,093 yards and 12 touchdowns. More than half of that production came in his redshirt senior season. Despite having an up-and-down season production-wise, the Monroe, N.C., native finished with a team-high seven touchdown receptions and ranked second among all Blue Devils with 47 catches and 559 receiving yards.

Former Duke quarterback Anthony Boone—the man on the other end of both Blakeney and Crowder’s receptions—has also had a busy offseason.

The Weddington, N.C., native played in the East-West Shrine game and tossed eight passes, completing four for 49 yards. On his second drive of the afternoon, Boone led the East squad on a drive that would result in a field goal, its first points in a game the team would win 19-3.

Takoby Cofield has also been active and is coming off a solid performance at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Monday, in which he was coached by Super Bowl-winning head coach Mike Holmgren on the American side. Cofield’s squad lost 17-0.

Although not in the top-tier of offseason games, the Collegiate Bowl has been good to offensive linemen in the past. Of the linemen that played in the 2014 contest, one—former Boise State center Matt Paradis—was selected in the NFL Draft, and two undrafted free agents—former Florida center Jonotthan Harrison and James Madison tackle Josh Wells—are currently on NFL rosters.

Many draft experts have projected guard Laken Tomlinson to go as high as the late first round in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Rounding out the NFL hopefuls is the player who is most likely to hear his named called sooner than any Blue Devil in recent history—Laken Tomlinson.

Tomlinson bolstered the Blue Devil line from the right guard position, and along with Cofield and the rest of the Duke offensive line, led the ACC in fewest sacks allowed per passing attempt. Tomlinson earned his second-straight first-team All-ACC selection and was the first Blue Devil since Clarkston Hines in 1989 to be named a consensus All-American.

Tomlinson’s draft status is still up in the air and will likely depend on his performance in this Saturday’s Senior Bowl, in which he joins Crowder on the North Team. He is currently projected to be drafted between late in the first round to early in the third and is ranked as Mel Kiper’s fifth-best guard in the draft.

Tomlinson, Cofield and Crowder all received invitations to take part in the 2015 NFL Combine set for Feb. 17-23 in Indianapolis.

Share and discuss “Former Duke football players hoping to boost NFL Draft stock in showcase games” on social media.