Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 7

Rebecca Greenwell

Statline: Monday, Dec. 29 at Connecticut: four points on 0-of-2 shooting, 4-of-4 from the free throw line, four rebounds, two assists, one block and one steal; Friday, Jan. 2 vs. North Carolina A&T: 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting, 4-of-5 on 3-pointers, four rebounds, three assists and three steals; Sunday, Jan. 4 vs. Wake Forest: 15 points on 5-of-11 shooting, 1-of-6 from 3-point range and 4-of-5 from the free throw line, six rebounds, two assists and one steal

The good: Greenwell struggled in Duke's 31-point loss at No. 2 Connecticut Monday, but only forward Azura Stevens and center Elizabeth Williams had any type of success against the Huskies. Although Williams had another strong week, Greenwell gets the nod this week because the loss to Connecticut and other action this week showed that the Blue Devils need Greenwell to be in attack mode to consistently put points up on the scoreboard.

Even though she struggled with her outside shot against the Demon Deacons, she helped Duke overcome a slow start by doing other things well to positively impact the game. The Blue Devils desperately need consistent play-making on the perimeter to help take pressure of Stevens and Williams in the paint, so Greenwell needs to continue playing like she did in the team's last two games and avoid tentative mistakes like those committed against Connecticut as ACC play wears on. Her steals have also become a key part of Duke's swarming defense, which starts in the paint but can extend out if the guards are playing the passing lanes nicely.

The bad: Greenwell committed 11 turnovers in the three games this week and has not helped what has turned into the team's achilles heel. The Owensboro, Ky., native was unable to operate effectively against tenacious Huskie perimeter defense and did not help stem the tide as the game spiraled out of control for Duke in the second half. The Blue Devils need their most dangerous guard to take better care of the ball as the team goes further into ACC play and fewer teams allow Greenwell to just catch and shoot from the perimeter.

The bottom line: Greenwell showed flashes of brilliance against North Carolina A&T and Wake Forest and will be a huge part of Duke's successes and failures with freshman guard Sierra Calhoun announcing her decision to transfer Sunday. The 6-foot-1 guard can impact the game in a number of different ways and needs to keep attacking on both ends of the court for the Blue Devils to bounce back from a disappointing four-loss effort in nonconference play.

Honorable mention: Williams continued leading her team on both ends of the court, posting 15 points and eight rebounds against the Huskies despite struggling from the field, showing her versatility with eight points, seven assists, five rebounds and four blocks against the Aggies and finishing the week with 18 points, eight boards. six blocks and five steals against the Demon Deacons. The 6-foot-3 center kept playing like the three-time All-American she is, but it was evident that she needs much more help from players like Greenwell for Duke to compete against the best.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 7” on social media.