Duke basketball soars past Boston College in ACC opener

Jahlil Okafor finished with a career-high 28 points in the first ACC game of his career as Duke routed Boston College.

Happy birthday, Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Led by Jahlil Okafor's career-high 28 points, No. 2 Duke defeated Boston College 85-62 on an afternoon where fans celebrated Cameron Indoor Stadium's 75th anniversary. Duke used a 17-2 run in the first half to pull away and dominate the visiting Eagles to pick up its first ACC win of the season.

Okafor battled Dennis Clifford—Boston College's 7-foot center—and John Carney in the paint, and with another career-high performance in the books , it would be fair to say Okafor won battle. The Chicago native was aggressive all night, as he went 14-of-17 from the free throw line to go along with eight rebounds and four blocks.

In the early going of both halves, Boston College (7-5, 0-1 in the ACC) managed to make things interesting. After the opening 13 minutes, the Eagles trailed just 21-18 and were on a 6-0 run. Guard Olivier Hanlan led the way for his squad, as he would pour in a team-high eight points in that opening stretch.

The Eagles took advantage of Duke's decision to switch on defense in the early going. Hanlan would blow by Okafor after the Blue Devil switched onto him and converted three easy layups. And whenever Hanlan or one of the other Boston College guards were contested and missed, Clifford was there to clean up on the glass. Hanlan and Clifford scored Boston College's first 15 points.

But the success was short-lived, as from that point on, Duke (13-0, 1-0) embarked on a 17-4 run and seemingly put the game out of reach.

Boston College would not go away, however, as it came out of the break and clawed its way back into the game, cutting the lead down to 48-38 with 15:19 remaining in the contest. Once again, though, the Blue Devils turned it on.

Okafor scored six of the next nine points and Quinn Cook and Rasheed Sulaimon knocked down back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers to extend the lead to 66-43 in just five minutes of play and put the game away for Duke.

Justise Winslow provided the Cameron Crazies with plenty to get excited about, as the freshman swingman threw down two vicious left-handed slams, including one in the first half that would be spark the 17-2 run for the Blue Devils.

The game also featured the expected amount of conference scrappiness, as Clifford picked up a flagrant foul and Eagle guard Dimitri Batten was assessed a technical foul after a few too many bumps on Okafor.

Duke will get a three-day break before heading to Winston Salem, N.C., to take on Wake Forest Wednesday at 9 p.m.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball soars past Boston College in ACC opener” on social media.