Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 2

Azurá Stevens

Statline: Tuesday vs Buffalo: 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting and 7 rebounds in 7 minutes; Friday vs Stony Brook: DNP (foot injury); Sunday vs Texas A&M: 15 points on 7-of-12 shooting and 7 rebounds in 22 minutes

The good: The freshman has been productive every time she has stepped foot on the floor. In Sunday’s loss against Texas A&M, Stevens' versatility was on display as she made life tough on Aggie defenders with her ability to score in the paint and hit mid-range jumpers. Through six games, the 6-foot-5 forward has averaged 11.4 points per game—third highest on the team—on 66.7-percent shooting—the highest on the team. However, early in the season, Stevens’ greatest attribute has been her ability to play and defend all five positions extremely well. Stevens has also effectively used her height advantage to succeed as a rebounder en route to an average of 7.2 rebounds per game.

The bad: Although Stevens has performed exceptionally while on the floor, the freshman has yet to receive a heavy dose of game action. The forward has occasionally missed time with a foot injury—including Friday’s game against Stony Brook and a preseason exhibition. Stevens currently averages only 17.2 minutes per game and appears to be behind sophomore Oderah Chidom and senior Amber Henson in the rotation. The freshman’s lack of experience has also been costly at times, as Stevens’ travelling violation late in Sunday’s game against Texas A&M was a crucial mishap contributing to the Blue Devils' first loss.

The bottom line: As a freshman, Stevens has shown the promise and versatility that will make her such an integral part of the Duke rotation going forward. Although she seems to be in a bit of a logjam for playing time, the forward has been effective whenever she has taken the floor and has the special ability to create her own offense. With time and experience, expect Stevens to use her size and versatility—as well as shooting ability—to transform into one of the most complete players in the nation

Honorable mention: Redshirt freshman Rebecca Greenwell has lived up to her superstar billing early in the season. Greenwell has averaged 15.3 points per game along with 8.2 rebounds per game through the first six contests—all of which she has scored double-digits in. The guard's biggest weakness thus far was believed to be her greatest strength coming out of high school: 3-point shooting.

Greenwell has only connected on 31-percent of her shots from beyond the arc, though she connected on three of her six 3-pointers Sunday and has anchored Duke's offense so far. The Owensboro, Ky., native is only shooting 34.1 percent from the field, the main aspect of her game that needs work as the season wears on.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 2” on social media.