Duke vs. No. 15 Arizona State Sun Bowl preview: Defense

As the Hyundai Sun Bowl between Duke and No. 15 Arizona State approaches, the Blue Zone takes a look at how both team's defensive units have fared this season and what we should expect from them Saturday. Kickoff is at 2 p.m. at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas. Check back Friday for a preview of the special teams battle.

X's and O's

Duke: Arizona State has proved it can score with the best of them and ranks in the top 20 nationally in points per game with 37.0. The Duke secondary will have its hands full, as no other team it has played this year has a spread offense that matches the Sun Devil attack; Arizona State excels by getting the ball to its playmakers in space and will likely test the Blue Devils' 4-2-5 scheme on the perimeter early and often.

The Duke run defense will need to stifle the run early and often so that the team can focus on sending blitzes to rattle Sun Devil passers Taylor Kelly and Mike Bercovici or drop their linebackers into coverage. Look for All-ACC safety Jeremy Cash to be all over the field Saturday and for senior linebacker David Helton to try to make adjustments as the quarterback of the defense as the Blue Devils try to slow down a potent offense.

Arizona State: The Sun Devils’ defense had to replace nine starters from last year but with an aggressive scheme, it has figured out how to shoot the gaps and force turnovers, rack up sacks and add five scores. The unit will be up against one of the best offensive lines in the country, but will also be one of the most dangerous defenses Duke will have faced this year as well. Arizona State often leaves its defensive backs exposed in man-to-man coverage, but if its blitzes are effective, the unit could disrupt the Blue Devils' rhythm like North Carolina and Virginia Tech were able to late in the season.

Rush

Duke: Duke’s run defense has had its ups and downs this season, most notably breaking down entirely against James Conner in the Pittsburgh thriller earlier this year, but needs a strong game in the season finale. The Sun Devil offense is at its best when it gets consistent production from the duo of D.J. Foster—who leads the team with 1,002 rushing yards and nine touchdowns—and Demario Richard; both players average more than five yards per carry and the mobility of Kelly will also test the Blue Devil defense.

Led by Helton, Duke's defensive line and linebackers need to figure out how to slow down Arizona State's running game up the middle so that the Blue Devil secondary will not be as susceptible to misdirection plays and play action and can focus on its job on the perimeter.

Arizona State: Duke’s ground game has not produced a single runner with more than 600 yards rushing, yet the stable of running backs and mobile quarterbacks—led by freshman Shaun Wilson’s 590 yards on 8.0 yards per carry and goal line specialist Thomas Sirk’s eight touchdowns—continues to produce. The Blue Devils will look to establish the run early against a team that yields 4.0 yards per carry to alleviate the pressure that Arizona State will dial up to frustrate quarterback Anthony Boone. But the Sun Devils are capable of disrupting running plays in the backfield with blitzes on early downs in addition to harassing opposing quarterbacks and boast 97 tackles for loss, so Duke's offensive line can't afford to take any plays off.

Pass

Duke: The Blue Devils will take the field in El Paso against a Sun Devil passing game that has produced consistently throughout the season, racking up more than 276 yards per game and scoring 33 touchdowns through the air. Arizona State head coach Todd Graham has confirmed that Kelly will start the game ahead of Mike Bercovici, despite the former being pulled in the second half of the team's regular season finale against Arizona.

But regardless of who starts under center against Duke, the Sun Devil quarterback will likely lean heavily on 6-foot-3 All-American receiver Jaelen Strong. The junior will test the stingy Blue Devil secondary all game long as he is a scoring threat that can dominate in the red zone as well as burn cornerbacks deep. Duke will likely need to rotate a safety to help Breon Borders and Bryon Fields contain Strong to prevent big plays.

Although the Blue Devils have not been particularly efficient at disrupting the quarterback in the pocket, they will need to do whatever it takes—use more down lineman or dial up more frequent blitzes—to ensure that an Arizona State offensive line that has given up 37 sacks is kept guessing. The Sun Devil quarterbacks have only thrown nine interceptions this year and a strong pass rush will be necessary to force mistakes. If given enough time to execute, Kelly and Bercovici know how to get the ball out quickly and on time. The duo also uses Foster well as a major threat out of the backfield—the 1,000-yard rusher has 59 catches for 642 yards and three scores as well.

Arizona State: The Sun Devils defense is known for blitzing and getting after opposing quarterbacks. After getting plowed by UCLA for 62 points early in the season, the unit has found its rhythm by disrupting quarterbacks with a vicious amount of pass rushing looks. Thanks to this aggressive mentality, Arizona State has compiled 39 sacks, 25 takeaways and five defensive touchdowns.

Although Boone is mobile and the Duke offensive line is one of the best in the country, the Sun Devils’ will be sending in waves and waves of defenders into the Duke backfield all game long. Boone has done a good job of limiting his interceptions—only throwing seven on the year—but five of his errant passes have come in Duke’s three losses. He will need to pick his battles wisely and limit his mistakes with the pass rush in his face or the game could turn into a disaster quickly for the Blue Devils.

All-American guard Laken Tomlinson and the rest of the Duke offensive line will need to account for Sun Devil defensive tackle Marcus Hardison—who has 14 tackles for loss and 10 sacks—and the Blue Devils will need to be weary of safety Damarious Randall. The redshirt senior has a knack for making big plays and his 101 tackles, eight pass breakups and three interceptions are all team-highs.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. No. 15 Arizona State Sun Bowl preview: Defense” on social media.