Wisconsin basketball 2014-15 season preview

Wisconsin Badgers

2013-14 Record: 30-8, 12-6 in the Big Ten

Head coach: Bo Ryan

Tenure at Wisconsin: 14th season

Career coaching record: 704-224

Home court: Kohl Center

Starters: F Frank Kaminsky, F Sam Dekker, G Traevon Jackson, G Josh Gasser, G Bronson Koenig

Bench: F Nigel Hayes, F Vitto Brown, F Duje Dukan

Overview: Coming off a trip to the Final Four, the Badgers appear to be in prime position to make it back to college basketball’s final weekend come tournament time. Wisconsin lost sharpshooter Ben Brust but returns its other four starters and several other contributors from last year’s squad. This continuity and experience should ensure that the No. 3 Badgers hit the ground running and are well-prepared for their much-anticipated Dec. 3 matchup against No. 4 Duke, the headliner in this year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Wisconsin features one of the best players in the country in senior Frank Kaminsky. The 7-foot forward was named a preseason AP All-American following a breakout junior campaign in which he led the team with 13.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Kaminsky is the focal point of the Badgers’ offense, and his unique set of size and skills—he can stretch the floor and shot an impressive 37.8 percent from beyond the arc a year ago—creates mismatches against almost any defense Wisconsin will face.

Kaminsky has plenty of help from the rest of a talented roster that includes four other players who averaged at least seven points per game last year. Senior guard Josh Gasser knocked down 43.1 percent of his 3-point attempts last season and provides a nice complement to Kaminsky’s post game. Junior forward Sam Dekker joins Kaminsky on the preseason All-Big Ten team and looks ready for a big season after ranking either second or third on the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks last year. Point guard Traevon Jackson is the floor general that spreads the ball around and directs traffic for head coach Bo Ryan's methodical squad.

One thing that needs to go right: Gasser continues his sweet stroke from long range to give the Badgers an outside scoring threat with Brust gone.

One thing that could go wrong: Unable to live up to high expectations, Kaminsky looks more like the role-playing sophomore version of himself rather than the All-American senior he is, failing to replicate the dominant post game that made him one of the nation’s top players as a junior.

Share and discuss “Wisconsin basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.